Forum: Competitions

Teachers pay at competition/convention
By rapledge
On Fri Jan 09, 2015 09:48 PM

How much are teachers generally paid for a competition weekend and or convention weekends?

8 Replies to Teachers pay at competition/convention

re: Teachers pay at competition/convention
By RileyA
On Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:58 PM
Nothing.
By hummingbird
On Sat Jan 10, 2015 07:32 AM
Not at the schools I've worked at!

I get a non teaching rate for the hours I'm there to supervise my dancers at competitions. At conventions I'm there to participate or watch so I'm gaining from them too, I don't get paid to take classes.
By imadanseurPremium member
On Sat Jan 10, 2015 09:22 AM
I've never been paid either. Spent over a decade devoted to every weekend being gone with one company to a convention or competition for FREE. Once I got married and had a family I had to narrow down what groups I would work with for competition and solos because I rarely go. I work with the kids that have done many, and don't need my assistance before or after they perform. Luckily I am at a studio that doesn't expect their teachers to go to every competition because I would no longer do it. I have another full time job, and I just can't work every last moment of my life anymore.
re: Teachers pay at competition/convention (karma: 2)
By shmcdona
On Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:10 AM
We are not expected to be at competitions, but if we decided to come and work with our dancers we get paid a non-teaching rate of an hour for each group piece we come to work with. I am glad my studio owner appreciates that it is work, we have families and child care that require us to pay them. I truly despise the "Its part of your hourly teaching rate" idea. It isn't. My hourly is for class prep, teaching the class, music selection, dance choreography etc, not going to comps...and done with my mini hi-jack and rant.
By Ekdancergirl1997
On Sun Jan 11, 2015 08:31 AM
Hotel accommodations and a set amount for meals is paid for and a non teaching rate for away comps and just the non teaching rate for locals.... It all depends on if you have been asked to attend the comp to help out or if it is just you choosing to attend
By Goldfingers_Girl
On Mon Jan 12, 2015 09:58 AM
It depends on the school - it is sometimes a non-teaching hourly rate, just hotel expenses or the "you are not expected to go, but if you do you won't be paid" excuse. I've worked at a few studios where the policy is the latter of the three. This seems common in my area so it is hard to avoid. Unless I'm just working with SR experienced comp kids I'm going to need to go, especially for Jr solos. It's hard to explain to a 7 year old that you won't be there because studio X doesn't pay you! I feel like it is just a sneaky way to get out of paying teachers for this time. In my experience many teachers will try to attend anyway. I've also heard parents complain if a teacher didn't attend. I really think all studios should factor this payment into their budgets and be transparent with parents on their policy. End of rant. :)
By dancerxiv
On Sun Jan 18, 2015 09:45 PM
We have a lot of instructors, so if I specifically ask a teacher to be there to help (usually I ask 2-3 who have the most dances going) i pay them $50/day and pay for their hotel if we need one and we carpool and I drive. It's not a lot, but its something. If I don't ask a teacher to be there, they go on their own.
By kr_WDance
On Mon Jan 19, 2015 06:07 AM
My SO will give me 50-100 for the weekend but doesn't expect me to go. She also paid for my hotel at nationals.

ReplySendWatch