Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

Adult Beginner Ballet Intensive?
By celticfeetmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jan 12, 2015 02:08 PM

Hello all! :) I am wondering whether there are any adult beginner ballet intensives out there? I am located on the east coast of Canada, but would like to turn the intensive into a vacation as well so am willing to travel a bit. :)

I've looked at the Boston Ballet adult summer program, but the classes are only in the evenings. I'd prefer something that is a week-long, full-day program. Any recommendations? Thank you in advance!

7 Replies to Adult Beginner Ballet Intensive?

re: Adult Beginner Ballet Intensive?
By Serendipity42Premium member
On Mon Jan 12, 2015 07:15 PM
Edited by Serendipity42 (215267) on 2015-01-12 19:18:29
Sun King Dance offers levels that can include those with little experience. I think the one in Maryland (?) is for lower level students.

sunkingdance.com

Just looked at it. The Waldorf one is really for beginner-ish students. They are terrific camps!

By Jjeenn147
On Tue Jan 13, 2015 04:11 AM
Finis Jhung has an adult beginner workshop at the Ailey Extenstion in New York June 6th and 7th 2015.

www.finisjhung.com . . .
By SarahdncrPremium member
On Sat Jan 17, 2015 06:54 AM
Edited by Sarahdncr (214611) on 2015-01-17 06:59:45
Oh..Why..Oh..Why could Sun King not have been around and come up with their wonderful adult programs esp. their adult program in Waldorf, MD. when I was posted there with the Forces back in the late '90's?? :>) Wishful thinking I know!

I'll just have to plan a trip back to my 'ol stomping grounds (I took adult ballet at a studio when I lived there) for next summer!
By celticfeetmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Feb 16, 2015 02:08 PM
Has anyone gone to the Arc Ballet School adult summer ballet intensive in August? It's in Seattle, and it looks like it goes from 9am-5pm for a week.
By Pizarts
On Mon Feb 16, 2015 02:16 PM
Pizarts has an adult dance intensive program in Argentina if you are looking for an adventure as well.
By Storm_Trouper
On Tue Mar 03, 2015 04:34 PM
celticfeet wrote:

Has anyone gone to the Arc Ballet School adult summer ballet intensive in August? It's in Seattle, and it looks like it goes from 9am-5pm for a week.

CelticFeet THANKS for posting this!!! I live close to Seatlle and have been looking for opportunities like this one, but it never came up in any of my online searches. The only thing close is the Sunking camp in the west at Vancouver WA, but it is too high a level for what I want.

So I just called ARC and spoke with the founder/director Marie Chong. They started the adult summer program last year. It was enough of a success that that they are offering it again (new website). But due to feedback, they will offer it Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon. They even had two guys last year so there can be partnering classes. One of the instructors is formerly RWB and Cirque de Soleil.

This sounds terrific for what I want/need, the fees seem reasonable (exchange rate = ouch). So before the May 30 early registration deadline, I am going to try to go down to one of their Sunday intermediate drop in classes (which Marie teaches) to check them out. She mentioned that she has some Sun Kingers amonst her adult following.
By Storm_Trouper
On Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:39 PM
CORRECTION:
Thr, Fri, Sat, Sun 4 days

ReplySendWatch