Forum: Advice / Girls Only PG-13

Girls Only PG-13
Vent- getting my Implanon removed (karma: 1)
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Tue Jan 20, 2015 01:31 PM

So, I went today to get my Implanon removed and replaced with Nexplanon. (you know, the sub-dermal birth control implant)

Well, after 20 minutes of trying my doctor could not get it removed. She said she had it and it slipped lower down from the incision and under some fatty tissue. So, I'll have to go to a radiologist to have it removed (they can do an ultrasound etc) and then make another appointment for the replacement.

I'm hoping I can get an appointment soon for it all. I don't want to drag this out or have a long gap between having it removed and replaced (I'm worried I'd have a period if I waited too long and after 3 years of no periods I don't want one now).

I'm frustrated and a bit disappointed. So, my arm is bandaged right now from the failed attempt to remove it, have to keep it on for 24 hours like I normally would etc.

9 Replies to Vent- getting my Implanon removed

re: Vent- getting my Implanon removed
By SandraLAVixenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 904, member since Tue Jul 18, 2006
On Tue Jan 20, 2015 03:27 PM
So sorry to hear that, my college classmate (also a dancer) had the same thing.

I remember her showing me her BC implant, scar and depression in her skin (not feelings of depression), it looked like two strips or parallel lines, but it was like two troughs.

It was basically two narrow tubules that released a steady amount of progestins to make the body think it's pregnant so no periods or ova maturation.

She had a rough time getting it removed and would "never recommend it to anyone".
By LoriCook Comments: 1762, member since Mon Aug 17, 2009
On Wed Jan 21, 2015 04:25 AM
20 years ago I had the Norplant which was 5 or 6 rods instead of just one which lasted for five years. I loved it but the insertion and removal was pretty tricky and made me squeamish if I thought about it. A single rod should be easy, you would think!
In comparison to other methods it's a pretty good option.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Wed Jan 21, 2015 07:35 AM
Despite difficulties removing it, I do love it. I'm worried the radiologists office will call me while I am at work today, but it could be Friday before they call!

I'll be at work when I can take the bandage (wrap) off, I'll stick a band-aid in my purse in case the one under the wrap comes off. My mom was trying to tell me not to take it off at work (because it would not be appropriate to explain if my arm is bleeding), but this thing is wrapped so I tight I don't think I could stand to leave it on any longer than I need too. My arm wont be bleeding, that was what the pressure bandage was for, and if it is them something is wrong.
On Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:56 PM
Well, I took off the pressure bandage at work...and the band-aid that was under it. Removing the band-aid was a mistake. I took it off because it was uncomfortable and the adhesive was starting to irritate my skin. I had my own band-aid to replace it with. Well, I was not prepared to see the incision. It is about a centimeter long - much bigger than when I had it inserted. Still all yucky because it is healing. I put my band-aid on the best I could. They went to dig in the first aid kit for anti-biotic ointment and a better band-aid. Nope on either one. I used two other band-aids to hold the bigger one down with. I let my boss know there was not anti-biotic in the first aid kit. She went and bought some. I undid my rigging and put some on and it felt much better.

Now that I am home I have found the superior band-aids (the clear waterblock ones, I had a fabric one on it) and feel a little better but this band-aid will stay on for a long while, I do not want to look at my incision again.
By sjerosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1263, member since Thu May 11, 2006
On Thu Jan 22, 2015 08:05 AM
That sounds like such a frustrating experience all-around, from the doctor's office to the band-aid issue later on. I hope you can get it all worked out soon!

I like the thought of having a subdermal BC, but I haven't had children yet, and I thought they weren't recommended for women who hadn't given birth before. Is that true, or is that only true for an IUD? Is this a different type of subdermal? I love the idea of no periods and no daily pill to take (or forget to take).
On Thu Jan 22, 2015 09:20 AM
sjerose wrote:

I like the thought of having a subdermal BC, but I haven't had children yet, and I thought they weren't recommended for women who hadn't given birth before. Is that true, or is that only true for an IUD? Is this a different type of subdermal? I love the idea of no periods and no daily pill to take (or forget to take).

I've only heard that for an IUD.

Despite all of the trouble, I will continue to use this form of birth control for as long as I can.
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:44 AM
sjerose wrote:

That sounds like such a frustrating experience all-around, from the doctor's office to the band-aid issue later on. I hope you can get it all worked out soon!

Totally false, they not only make an IUD (Skyla) for childless women, but GYNs are putting IUDs in women who have never given birth. I'm in several childfree groups and many of them have IUDs and have never been pregnant or given birth.

If you want one without hormones, there's the Paraguard.
By sjerosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1263, member since Thu May 11, 2006
On Thu Jan 22, 2015 05:59 PM
Thanks, ladies! I'm going to talk to my doctor at my next exam about my options. I've been getting really frustrated lately with the pill.
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Sat Jan 24, 2015 08:35 AM
Edited by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2015-01-24 08:36:22
You can use the Pill to not have a period--I've been doing it for years. You just have to get your doctor to prescribe your pill continuously. They should give you a pill that has one dose throughout your cycle (so none of the Tri pills) and then you ignore the sugar pills and start with a new pack after the third week.

ReplySendWatch