Forum: Ballet / Ballet Choreography

Ballet Choreography
Is this a good contemporary/ballet dance idea?
By behindbarres Comments: 84, member since Sun Mar 30, 2014
On Tue Jan 20, 2015 03:14 PM

In contemporary class we are each choreographing dances for the class and showing them in the recital. This is my idea, do you like it?

Song: Requiem for a dream
Length: 1:30 mins

There are going to be 3 "big (12-15 yrs)" girls and 3 "little (10-11 yrs)" girls. The big girls are going to be emotionless (not zombies, just emotionless) and the little girls are going to be happy and cheerful. The little girls are going to run into the big girls and the big girls are going to have a "war" with them. Each of the little girls is going to get turned emotionless one at a time. By the end of the dance, one little girl will be left in the corner, shaking. A big girl will drag her offstage, turning the little girl emotionless, and that is how the dance will end.

Do you like it? Is it a good idea? I'm a little concerned that it will be too short (But we are only allowed up to 1:30 mins) and that it wont make sense. I want it to be powerful.

Thanks for your feedback!

6 Replies to Is this a good contemporary/ballet dance idea?

re: Is this a good contemporary/ballet dance idea?
By SandraLAVixenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 904, member since Tue Jul 18, 2006
On Tue Jan 20, 2015 03:30 PM
What about making them ghosts instead of zombies, it's a lot more dancy and ethereal.

Zombies are overly done in the entertainment world lately.
By Serendipity42Premium member Comments: 2268, member since Sun Aug 16, 2009
On Tue Jan 20, 2015 03:42 PM
Edited by Serendipity42 (215267) on 2015-01-20 17:12:29 Reiterating what was said
"Not zombies, just emotionless..."

I think yours is a great idea, BehindBarres. Stick with it!
By SandraLAVixenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 904, member since Tue Jul 18, 2006
On Tue Jan 20, 2015 05:30 PM
Ah, not zombies, that is okay.

Make sure you have a reason why they are doing this, it kind of just feels like the older generation is going to make the younger one sad and emotionless.

There needs to be a reason, theme, or message, what is it?
By owlinateacup Comments: 7, member since Tue Jan 06, 2015
On Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:03 PM
The theme seems very dark, i agree with above make sure you can send a message. it might be very heavy for the time you have allowed.
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Wed Jan 21, 2015 07:49 AM
It sounds like a good idea but it's a big theme to get through in one and a half minutes. When I choreograph festival dances I have between three and four minutes per group, depending on the size and it really feels like I'm racing to get storyline, technique and choreography in without compromising something.
By BalletIrish4evr Comments: 8, member since Tue Feb 17, 2015
On Tue Feb 17, 2015 07:06 PM
I think this is a great idea! With the time allowed I think the little girls should turn emotionless when the big girls touch them rather than having a war. Maybe you could have only 2 big girls so you can show the third little girl getting away.

Remember its your dance not mine and these are only suggestions. But I think you should go with this idea!

ReplySendWatch