Forum: Arts / Crafts & Hobbies

Crafts & Hobbies
Spinning (yarn, not the fitness thing with the bikes)
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Mon Jan 26, 2015 02:33 AM

I adore handspun yarns, and for years was quite happy buying amazing colourways to knit or crochet into something wonderfully unique. Never had an interest in spinning.

And then, I don't know what happened, but I decided to buy myself a spindle and some roving and off I went!

Granted, I've only made one skein of handspun yarn so far, but I'm rather proud of my efforts, and I've since been inundated with offers of wool (sheep and alpaca) from friends and family, who have asked for a ball/skein or two back in payment.

Does anyone else here dabble in the craft of spinning yarn?

5 Replies to Spinning (yarn, not the fitness thing with the bikes)

re: Spinning (yarn, not the fitness thing with the bikes)
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Mon Jan 26, 2015 09:51 AM
I do not...but I am totally jealous of people with this kind of talent. Those that can make quilts, knit, crochet...etc. I think it is all wonderfully creative and a gene that I don't have.
By moara Comments: 955, member since Thu Jun 24, 2004
On Mon Jan 26, 2015 04:31 PM
I spun about eight inches of wool yarn at my local historical village this summer, and it was so much fun. I started looking for spinning classes, but there aren't any anywhere close to where I am, and I have so many other crafty hobbies, I don't want to invest in a lot of equipment and roving for myself right now.
On Mon Jan 26, 2015 06:04 PM
Renee, how many other talents do you have, though? I am in awe of all that you do!

Moara, I started off with a little 'learn to spin' kit from Etsy. A drop spindle, a few bits of roving and it's a nice little portable craft. I'd never buy a spinning wheel or anything like that - for one thing, it's too expensive; for another, where do you put the thing when it's not in use?! (I have too many sewing machines I'm trying to home.)
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Tue Jan 27, 2015 01:33 PM
I am grateful for my talents, but I am sort of a talent hoarder and just want more. I can't sing either...or paint/draw.
On Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:07 PM
So much for "I'd never buy a spinning wheel!". After having a bale and a bit of wool dumped in my lap, I sort of had to - there was no way I'd be able to spin that much wool with my little drop spindle.

Ebay. $40. And so begins a crash course in picking/washing/carding/spinning/dyeing etc fleece.

I've been documenting the journey in my diary :)

It's a messy, smelly craft, really!

ReplySendWatch