Forum: Disco / Disco Advice

Disco Advice
New To Comps, Advice Please! (U16 Beginners)
By DanceAlways123 Comments: 5, member since Tue Jan 27, 2015
On Tue Jan 27, 2015 03:40 PM

I'm new to freestyle competitions, not a clue what to expect, and I have some questions and also just need basic advice from people who have experience. PLEASE.
1) What is a solo spot? (I have a vague idea, just looking for clarification)
2) What do the judges look for in a dancer?
3) Will there be many people in my category? (U16 Beginners)
4) What do I do if I'm shy/nervous?
5) What make up and hair do I do as a beginner?
6) Should I get my hopes up to place? How hard is it?
7) Do I have to fake tan? (I really don't want to, does everyone do it though?)

4 Replies to New To Comps, Advice Please! (U16 Beginners)

re: New To Comps, Advice Please! (U16 Beginners)
On Wed Jan 28, 2015 09:49 AM
Please guys! I really need some help <3 Just a few words would be awesome.
By xxkirstyxxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1309, member since Sun Jun 15, 2003
On Wed Jan 28, 2015 01:42 PM
Hi Hun. I'm a teacher and an ex dancer so ill try and help.

1. Solo spot is a dance on, that's the 20sec dance the champs do on their own. Only champs and prems do theses no fast and slow so don't worry. You shouldn't have to do one of these just yet.

2. Judging is very subjective. I judge, and what I prefer in a dancer is sometimes not what the next judge likes. So it's tough. But generally I'd say most judges want clean tidy moves, pointed toes, straight legs in kicks, nice personality and lots of effort.

3. In my experience there usually not loads of u16 beginners, this is in the North East, usually there's around the 6-10 mark.

4. Please try not to be nervous! Your doing a great thing getting up there and giving it a go. I know it's hard but try and smile and shake it off. Even if you are nervous, the judges understand it's harder for older girls in the beginning to deal with their confidence. Do your best.

5. In my opinion I like a clean tidy high ponytail. You can crimp or curl or back comb, and it's totally up to you. Again, my opinion only but on make up I prefer understated, shadowed eyes and nice lippy. That's only my opinion, I see girls all the times with really heavily made up eyes and I really like them too. Just depends what you feel comfortable in.

6. I can't comment on how hard it is as it differs from comp to comp. all you can do is give it your All, and view placing as an added bonus for your first time. Then if you make it, you will be over the moon.

7. You don't have to fake tan, definitely not, but don't be surprised if all the others are in your section. It is quite common.

Good luck darling! Smile big, hold your head up and do your best. I'm sure you will love it and grow in confidence each time.

Kirstin x
On Wed Jan 28, 2015 02:18 PM
Edited by DanceAlways123 (272330) on 2015-01-28 14:18:52
Kirsten - thank you so much! That was literally the perfect answer - everything I was looking for. Thanks for all the detail and effort you took to reply. Super nervous but I'll try my hardest. Xxx
By xxkirstyxxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1309, member since Sun Jun 15, 2003
On Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:10 AM
No worries :) hope you have a great time and try to enjoy it!

Xx

ReplySendWatch