Forum: Highland / Highland - Hornpipe

Highland - Hornpipe
Hornpipe hats and hair
By highland_dancer5 Comments: 217, member since Mon Mar 10, 2014
On Wed Jan 28, 2015 06:58 PM

My hair is down to my waist when straight so as you can imagine I have quite a big bun. I'm going to start competing in hornpipe soon but have no idea how I'll get a hat over my bun. How do all of you get your hats over your hair? Help is appreciated :)

4 Replies to Hornpipe hats and hair

re: Hornpipe hats and hair
By girlfling Comments: 83, member since Sun May 15, 2011
On Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:11 PM
I take my daughters hair out of the bun and just tuck the ponytail hair up under the hat. So far this has worked the best for us.
By Bril Comments: 152, member since Thu Mar 07, 2013
On Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:36 AM
Depending on how much time I have, I either do the pontytail under the hat, or a modified low bun on the outside.

I personally hate seeing buns on the inside of the hat (you know when you can see it pushing through the top), but I also don't like it when the hat is too high on the head (since it is based off military headress I think it should be worn that way).

So sometimes I will make a low bun- the elastic has to be lower than the rim of the hat. Then I twist or braid my hair and make the bun, pinning the sides as I go, except for the top. That way the hat can go between the bun and my head to give me that little bit of extra room, without trying to put the hat over the bun.

That was the best solution I could find when my hair was super long.
By Dancinlassie Comments: 249, member since Sun Jul 29, 2007
On Mon Feb 09, 2015 04:32 PM
My daughter also has waist-length hair. We also take the hair out of the bun and pit it up on the top of her head.
By doineann Comments: 11, member since Sat Dec 20, 2014
On Fri Feb 27, 2015 06:40 AM
My daughter also has long hair. We have ponied it and stuffed it under her hat, done the low bun, or when time permitted, French braided it and pinned up the tails under the hat. This was particularly good when she first got her hat because it was a little big on her.

ReplySendWatch