Forum: General / Computers - General

Computers - General
How Do I Change From Windows 7 to Windows 8?
By maureensiobhan Comments: 4726, member since Wed Dec 24, 2003
On Sun Feb 01, 2015 07:19 PM

I'm hoping some of the computer geeks on here can help someone who is still very much computer illiterate.

At the college I'm attending, we are using Windows 8. In the supplemental DVD for the class, I'd like to see the review for what we've covered so far in class. How can I change from Windows 7 to windows 8? I'd really like to watch the supplemental DVD,

When I went into the classrooms on the first day of school, my chin almost hit the floor when I saw the computers at the desks. I thought, "Oh my God! I have to learn how to use these? I don't want to be responsible for it if anything gets messed up on these computers.". My English teacher I had last semester told my academic advisor, "I think she was overwhelmed by the computers.".

4 Replies to How Do I Change From Windows 7 to Windows 8?

re: How Do I Change From Windows 7 to Windows 8?
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sun Feb 01, 2015 07:29 PM
Edited by majere (186163) on 2015-02-01 19:30:29
Edited by majere (186163) on 2015-02-01 19:51:53
If your computer has a drive for DVDs, you should be able to watch it with Windows 7.

I wouldn't change to Windows 8, if I were you. It works best with a touch screen device.
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 634, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sat Feb 07, 2015 09:38 PM
Windows * is/was primarily designed to be an OS that is for tablets and other touch - screen type computers, that are beginning to replace laptops now. I looked at it and I did not like it. Stay with WIN 7, it is a very stable platform, and should be supported for at least a few years more. If you have WIN 7 you should be able to watch DVD's w/o any problem.
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Sun Feb 08, 2015 08:39 PM
I detest Windows 8 and so have a lot of other people to the extent that Microsoft is about to issue Windows 10. (There will be no Windows 9 because doing a search to solve problems on "Windows 9" will bring of postings referring to the ancient Windows 95 and Windows 98.

I really haven't found anything on Win 8 (which is on my laptop) that I can't do on Windows 7 which is what I am using here. Some forums say that Windows 8 is really little more than Windows 7 with the "tiles" added (which I can do without though I could see their utility on a tablet.) I have rather big hands and fingers and I find using a tablet or an iPhone rather difficult. I also find it frustrating....I can type at 70 or so wpm on a desktop keyboard...I doubt I do much more that 10 on a tablet.

The word I've heard is that anyone with Win 7 or 8 with automatic updates will be automaticially upgraded to Windows 10. I'll believe it when I see it. Micro$oft apparently has realized that Win 8 is a turkey.

Jon

By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 634, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sat Feb 14, 2015 07:12 AM
Chaconne (John): Yay, lets hear it for the folks who don't use iPhones!! --Probably only you and me! I just love my mightily little flip phone, it does everything I want it to, and, it can't be hacked!!

Like you I too was taught by the govt. in how to type, and I too can do about what your are doing in the 70'ish wpm range.

But trying to use my fingers to communicate these days--forgetaboudit!!

ReplySendWatch