Forum: Adults / 40 Something

40 Something
Foot Pain, Please help
By irishstep Comments: 103, member since Mon Nov 26, 2012
On Tue Feb 03, 2015 09:56 AM

I have had foot pain ever since starting back to Irish Step Dancing, I know I have bunions, bone spurs. I may even have a morton"s neuroma. Just being on releve hurts and the jumps and leaps are even worse. The pain stays for at least 12 hours after dancing and I really don't know what to do. I am so happy to be dancing again, and I really hate to complain about this but it is really getting very bad. Its bad enough for me not to want to practice. I have been reading about injections/fillers like a botox or juvederm for your feet. Anyone have any advice? Please tell me if you think of anything.

4 Replies to Foot Pain, Please help

re: Foot Pain, Please help
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:49 AM
Pain is your bodies way of letting you know things aren't as they should be or that you've gone too far. As we get older that warning system becomes more and more vital to our well being. Please don't take away that warning system from your body, if you're going to continue dancing you'll need it!

I'm almost at the age where there isn't a forum for my age group on DDN :D I'm THAT old, as I've got older I've just had to come to terms with the fact that my body doesn't do what it used to do and needs more recovery time than it used to.

I'm a ballet dancer and was lucky enough to dance in two companies before I had my kids, can I get into full turnout any more? Certainly not on one leg. Do I really need to get into full lateral rotation any more, not really, I adapt what I do now to make it more appropriate for my aging and abused body. We all have to admit that we're not 21 anymore if we want to keep dancing, or even keep walking.
On Tue Feb 03, 2015 02:26 PM
I just read up about Morton's Neuroma too and I found this interesting article about problems with pointe work. It talks about Morton's Neuroma almost at the end of the article under the Peasant Foot type. It might help you out a bit.

www.dancemagazine.com . . .
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Tue Feb 03, 2015 08:44 PM
Where is the pain? I broke my seismoid bone in 2013, and it was like that. It was in the joint of the big toe.
On Tue Feb 03, 2015 09:40 PM
Another thing that just came to me was how much foot articulation are you doing in your warm up? I know a lot of Irish dance teachers don't do much of a warm up, let alone a foot focused section.

ReplySendWatch