Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

CPYB dorm life questions
By behindbarres
On Tue Feb 03, 2015 01:21 PM

I have a few questions regarding dorm life at CPYB for their 5-week intensive. (Sorry but I'll probably have a lot of CPYB questions on this thread!)

I will be 15 years old while at CPYB:

1. How big is a double vs. a triple?
2. Do most students attend weekend activities? What do you do if you chose to stay at the dorm?
3. Was there a bathroom in each room or were the bathrooms shared? If so, how many people shared a bathroom?
4. Personally, did you have enough energy for supplemental classes? If so, how did you like them?
5. What did you do on the 4th of July?
6. Did you have to stay on campus at all times during free time or were you allowed out? (grocery shopping or to a dance store)
7. Do a lot of people bring bikes or is that unnecessary?

Thanks!

8 Replies to CPYB dorm life questions

re: CPYB dorm life questions (karma: 1)
By bunheadmama
On Wed Feb 04, 2015 09:54 AM
Hi again, behindbarres,

My daughter did not stay in the dorm, (we were renting a room) but I think I have answers for a couple of questions you have:

2. I would say most of students attended weekend activities as there was not much else to do in town. My daughter loved the NYCB rehearsal event (she got to talk to one of her studio's star alumni dancers) and Hershey Park (she wanted to revisit after CPYB program was over). I thought the fee was pretty reasonable also.

4. No, my daughter did not have enough energy for supplemental classes. I don't think she heard from her classmates about them, either. Two technique classes + pointe every day is not very easy work load even for young people, IMO.

5. They had some events for dorm students to attend to. My daughter did not go. She was just taking it easy.

6. You are allowed to go out in certain range (like a few blocks radius or something) as long as you are with your buddies. They have you wear a color-coded lanyard at all times and we saw CPYB students browsing on the town's main street, which is only a few blocks long. They had a tour during the orientation so that the students have a good idea where they can go and have fun.

7. I don't think we have seen CPYB students biking. I even don't know if they allow you to have a bike in the dorm. If you really want to bring your own bike, you should check with them.

I hope this helps...
re: CPYB dorm life questions
By behindbarres
On Wed Feb 04, 2015 03:45 PM
Thanks bunheadmama! I was asking about the bike because on CPYB's essentials list, it says you may want to bring a bike if you have the room. I don't really like to bike, but I was wandering in case most students do bring them. :)
By SarahdncrPremium member
On Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:56 PM
I don't know about how old the dorms are at the college that CPYB uses, however, if they were like me old college dorms, a triple (3 people to a room--1 bunk bed, and 1 single) is going to be pretty tight, esp. for 3 teen girls.

So, I would go with a double.

If CPYB offer's a single I would jump on that in a heartbeat even if it costs more extra money, as I just like my privacy. If you have never done roommates before, the experience can either be fantastically awesome, or it can possibly be really bad.
By purpleballerina
On Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:56 AM
1. How big is a double vs. a triple?
Triples just normally have an extra smaller room attached to the main room (which is the same size as the double main room)

2. Do most students attend weekend activities? What do you do if you chose to stay at the dorm?
Most students do attend. If you stay at the dorms, you can go shopping or just hang out.

3. Was there a bathroom in each room or were the bathrooms shared? If so, how many people shared a bathroom?
The bathrooms were shared between half of one floor. Maybe 6-8 rooms. They were large and it wasn't a problem at all.

4. Personally, did you have enough energy for supplemental classes? If so, how did you like them?
I sometimes did. I loved the stretching class!

5. What did you do on the 4th of July?
there was a waterslide and many fun outdoor activities.

6. Did you have to stay on campus at all times during free time or were you allowed out? (grocery shopping or to a dance store)
You could go to walmart or shop downtown at their stores and restaurants. I loved the downtown.

Not really.
By MeaMSBMD
On Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:14 PM
Hi ! I've been to CPYB for two years. I stated in the dorms both times.

1. How big is a double vs. a triple? It depends. My first year I stayed in Drayer(11-14 year olds), where I was in a double. It was fine, but there wasn't much room besides the beds, desks, dressers, bookshelves. two of my good friends were in triples. One was very large and the other was exactly like my double except it had an almost second room off of it. The second year I stayed in Morgan (14-16 year olds) where we were in a double connected to another double and we had our own bathroom. It was larger and nicer than the rooms in Drayer, but I didn't like being in Morgan as much as I did Drayer.
2. Do most students attend weekend activities? What do you do if you chose to stay at the dorm? A lot of students attended some of the activities but not all. If you didn't go, you could go swimming at the pool, do photoshoots, go shopping, watch Netflix, eat ice cream. There's a lot that you could do with friends.
4. Personally, did you have enough energy for supplemental classes? If so, how did you like them? I took supplemental stretch, pilates and ballet. I got a 10 class card and used 8 of them, each year. I really enjoy them and they helped a lot. The supplemental ballet class was really just to take a class with my friends who weren't in my level, but the pilates and stretch classes were very beneficial!
5. What did you do on the 4th of July? My friends and I went swimming at the community center and we took photos and we went to the local dance shop... The woman who owns it is lovely. We would often go to the dance shop just to talk to her.
6. Did you have to stay on campus at all times during free time or were you allowed out? (grocery shopping or to a dance store) because you're 15, you'll have a lot more freedom than someone who is under 14. You're allowed to walk to a shopping center that includes Panera, Walmart, a movie theatre and a frozen yogurt store. Also, the shops along the Main Street are on the way to one of the studios, so you're allowed to go there (that's where the dance shop is). You're also allowed to swim at the community center and go to ice cream places. But to go out of the boundaries (which they'll show you on your first day) you need to be with a parent or someone on your approved sheet. (I had every family me member of my roommate on there at the end... They took us to dinner and to fun places outside of our boundaries, so that was cool)
A lot of the boys ended up buying scooters from Walmart, but only the girls who were friends with a lot of boys had them too. I don't think you'll need it.
By behindbarres
On Wed Feb 11, 2015 02:12 PM
Thank you! That was so helpful! Will you be attending this year?
By MeaMSBMD
On Sun Feb 15, 2015 05:12 PM
Yes!
By behindbarres
On Mon Feb 16, 2015 05:05 PM
Awesome! I'm so excited to go!

ReplySendWatch