Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

Washington vs. Bossov SI
By dreamsofdevelope
On Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:15 AM

I recently was accepted to the Washington Ballet Summer Intensive and I think I would really like to attend, but I had a few questions. (Bossov is also one of my choices and if anyone has attended Bossov's SI I would love to hear about the experience). I know Washington Ballet is not a top tier summer intensive, but is it challenging and does it help you improve a lot? I really want to be a professional dancer after high school (I'm currently a sophomore) and I just want to make sure that Washington is a good summer intensive before I go there. If anyone has been there recently, what was the daily schedule like? How small were classes? And did you make a lot of improvement over the summer? I would really appreciate any thoughts on the intensive, thank you!

1 Replies to Washington vs. Bossov SI

re: Washington vs. Bossov SI
By catedancer
On Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:06 PM
I went last summer (I was 14) and it was a great intensive! Depending on your level, you have morning ballet/Pilates starting between 9-9:30 for 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hours. Normally there would be a pointe/variations/pas de deux class. Lunch would come next, although sometimes you may have another class, or even a short break. After lunch, there are two more classes. either have repertoire or another pointe/variations/ pas class and a jazz/modern/flamenco class. Classes normally ended around 4:30-5:30 but sometimes the schedule was really weird. The schedule is totally different for each level. There were about 22 people in my level (level 6) and I'd say there might have been 30 at the most in a level (level 5). I think I improved a lot over the summer and definitely would consider it again for the summer. You had one teacher that taught most of your levels ballet classes, but you received instruction from all of the faculty. Dress code is your basic black leotard and pink tights.

Besides the dancing, here are a couple things you should know. Food is provided in the cafeteria on the campus, but it's pretty overpriced so it's easier to buy food at WholeFoods and keep it in your room. There also isn't a refrigerator provided in the dorms so its good to have one. It took about 20 minutes (by bus) to get from the American University dorms to TWSB in the morning and back. There are a lot of places to buy food and other needs within minutes of the dorms. And on the weekends, I'd take advantage of the city and explore. You can practically go anywhere as long as you're in a group of 4 people. I learned how to use the subway and metro bus system and got to see a lot of DC in those 5 weeks

Hope this helps!

ReplySendWatch