Forum: Adults / Weddings

Weddings
Jamaica for wedding?
By Natashamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2613, member since Fri Dec 31, 2004
On Sat Feb 07, 2015 08:27 PM

Has anyone gotten married in Jamaica, or been to a wedding there?

Thoughts? Resorts?

Looking for general info from people with experience.

Thanks, friends :)

6 Replies to Jamaica for wedding?

re: Jamaica for wedding?
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 634, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sat Feb 07, 2015 09:58 PM
Hi! Can't really say about having a destination wedding there, but my sister went on her honeymoon to Jamaica and had a wonderful time. Now that was almost 22 yrs ago, and I am sure it has only gotten better. Jamaica got beat up pretty good by Hurricane Hugo back in the day, and many of the homes, schopping etc. in the Montego Bay were badly damaged. However the surrounding resorts are nice and well maintained. I am not that familiar with the Kingston (nations capital city) area.

I would look up the Sandals Resorts, or Beaches Resorts. Sandals is more adult orientated. Five of their resorts are, Sandals Inn, Montego Bay, Sandals Royal Caribbean just down the beach from Sandals Inn. Then Sandals Dunn's River Falls, Sandals Negril, and Sandals Ochoa's Rios. Personally I would stay in Negril (think being out in the country) or Ochoa's Rios. All the Sandals resorts that I know of have wedding packages.

There are also the Hedonism Resorts, -- VERY ADULTS ONLY Only--'nuff said.

My family is planning a Christmas family vacation to Jamaica this year, and it will be my second time vacationing in the country.

A couple of other locations you should check out is anywhere in the Blue Mountains (were Blue Mountain Coffee is grown) or in the Runaway Bay area (used to be THE place in the 1930's--very retro.)

Hope this helps and Congratulations on the upcoming wedding.
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:39 AM
My parents went to Jamaica. If you stay in a nice resort and don't deviate from it, you should be fine. They almost got into a bad situation while they were in a tourist area in a market...my dad is sure they were almost a victim of petty theft (pickpocketing, bag snatching). They were warned about not visiting beaches at night or using public transportation except one particular cab company. There is a high percentage of violent crimes and gang-related violence. A friend of ours were caught in some gun crossfire when they visited a few years ago and went off the resort grounds, and they got a plane ticket out the next day.
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 634, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sat Feb 14, 2015 07:22 AM
I probably should revise and extend my remarks a bit. My remarks were based on what I know from my sister and myself who have vacationed there.

We also stayed at one of the resorts and never left the property, except to go on 3 excursions that were arranged for and organized by the resort with respectable and vetted vendors they use---The resorts made it a point to tell us this.

We also were strongly advised not to leave the resort property at night, to go "downtown" by ourselves and our resort had heavily armed guards patrolling the resort property and at it's entrances at night.

Stay on the resorts and you should be fine.
By Natashamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2613, member since Fri Dec 31, 2004
On Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:17 AM
How slow am I to reply??!! Ouff, I apologize.

THANK YOU for your helpful advice. I need to look into all of this more seriously now because...

We got engaged!!! Yay!!!!
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:59 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Mon Mar 02, 2015 03:26 PM
That's wonderful news, congratulations!

ReplySendWatch