Forum: Arts / Food & Beverage

Food & Beverage
Can you tell me what you think happened to this recipe?
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:38 PM

I made a bread recipe. It made 2 loves. They were so horrible I had to through both of them out! I was so upset! I'll print the recipe and maybe someone can tell me what they think happened. I'm wondering if I should make this one again?

Bisquick Applesauce Bread
2 1/2 Cups Bisquick (our Bisquick said it expired in Nov. 2014)
1 cup quick cooking oats (it expired sometime in 2014)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg, beaten
1 Cup of honey (ours came in the honey bear bottle so I thought it was just honey but it also had corn syrup in it and said it expired in 2013.)
1 cup applesauce
1 cup golden raisins
1 cup walnuts, chopped

Combine first 4 ingredients; make a well in the center of the mixture. Combine egg, honey and applesauce; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Stir in raisins and walnuts. Spoon batter into two greased and floured 7 1/2 x 3 1/2 x 2 1/4 inch loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 min or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 min., remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.

Could it be that some of our stuff was expired? The Bisquick was only expired 2 or 3 months. I never would have bought that honey but it was in a honey bear bottle so I thought it was real honey. I should have known to check even though it was in that bottle. Do you think it was the expired stuff or something else? I've been baking for years and this has never happened to me before so it can't be anything I did. Thanks for any help with this.

8 Replies to Can you tell me what you think happened to this recipe?

re: Can you tell me what you think happened to this recipe?
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:46 AM
Using expired stuff when baking makes a huge difference. While using a product a few months after expiration may not make a difference sometimes, I find that baking is a different level. The quality of food will diminish and the potency once a product is used after the expiration date (especially with products like baking powder and soda), which affect baking.
On Mon Feb 09, 2015 02:26 PM
That's kind of what I thought. I will try the recipe again but with all new things and I hope it's as yummy as the poster who sent me the recipe said it was. Also, I will make sure the honey we buy is real honey. I remember Rachael Ray saying to look for the honey bear bottle. I guess that's not true because ours was in that bottle and it wasn't just honey. You live and learn.

Thanks again for the info.
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Mon Feb 09, 2015 03:24 PM
It's a lowfat recipe, so it's never going to be as good as one with butter. But that seems like WAY too much honey. I can't ever remember using a whole cup of honey in any quickbread recipe. And that's too many raisins and walnuts too. Also, that's definitely too much baking powder. I'm not optimistic this recipe will ever work as well as you want it to.
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6819, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Mon Feb 09, 2015 03:58 PM
In what way was it "horrible"? Did it come out like a wad of art supplies gone bad?

Just looking over the ingredients I can only think "dense".

Unless the baking powder was dead, I can't imagine that the expired ingredients were to blame as much as the original recipe. Stale leavening can hurt, but the Bisquick was helped along with a fair amount of baking powder so I don't think that was to blame. The flavors may have been affected, but beyond that? And honey lasts forever. It goes dark and sticky but doesn't usually go "bad" although if the blend you have contains corn syrup... well, I have had corn syrup grow that lovely blue fuzz on the surface....

The recipe does seem a bit low on liquid for the amount of dry ingredients and I do find that when any nut bread has more than a cup of "junk", two eggs are a big help. I suspect the oats and the raisins sucked up a good deal of moisture.

Beyond that.... so sorry for your loss. I hate it when you spend time making something and then have to ditch it. It's like tearing up a term paper eight pages into it. xoxo

Keep On Dancing*
On Mon Feb 09, 2015 06:30 PM
What happened was it was almost doorstop hard. I cooked it for the lowest amount of time. My mom had a piece and said it tasted terrible. She was going to take some to her knitting club for all of them to eat. Before I would have blamed our old oven but we got a brand new one that is spot on for temps so it couldn't have been that. I was surprised to hear her tell me to throw them both away. I can't eat sweets because I am a super taster so I always have mom taste things before I write on the recipe that they are a keeper. Maybe this one even with the ingredients updated wouldn't have been a keeper anyway. Thanks to everyone who commented and told me what the problem was. I was looking for a simple recipe I could make, that we had all the ingredients for and mom could take that night if I baked it in the afternoon. This was not it. I never thought it was low fat but I guess you are right about that.
By LoriCook Comments: 1762, member since Mon Aug 17, 2009
On Tue Feb 10, 2015 01:25 AM
I've accidentally eaten rancid corn syrup before. It's a taste you never forget. Sort of like a mix between a penny and the sulfuric fires of hell. Your poor mom.
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6819, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:26 AM
I suspect not enough liquid.

I make banana bread from a similar recipe.

2-1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
3-1/2 tsp baking powder

1 cup mashed bananas
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup oil
1 egg

If you compare these to your list...
honey = sub for sugar (additional moisture, but minimal)
Bisquick= flour,additional baking powder and shortening (=oil),
Applesauce=banana.

This leaves a cup of oats out there without any milk,a cup of raisins plumping up on the back of the applesauce and a lonely egg.

I suspect if you added an egg and a half a cup of milk you might be ok.

Again... sorry for your loss.

Keep On Dancing*
On Tue Feb 10, 2015 01:05 PM
Christine, I will try what you said and see if the recipe is any better. My mom makes the most amazing banana bread. I can't eat it but that's what others say. In fact, my mom gave the recipe to my mom's bosses wife. She passed away before Christmas but when she was well my mom gave her the recipe because my mom's boss loved it. She told my mom that it wasn't the same bread, did she leave something out of the recipe? My mom asked her to read it and my mom did not leave anything out. No one could understand how the recipe didn't come out the same. My mom has the most amazing boss so she makes him a banana bread when she has some rotten bananas.

I'm glad we are able to share like this and help each other out. I appreciate it.

ReplySendWatch