Forum: Arts / Food & Beverage

Food & Beverage
Does brown rice take longer to cook then white rice?
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Wed Feb 11, 2015 08:19 PM

I made this recipe for my mom and my nephew and I. It call's for one cup of rice. You mix it with 2 packages of Lipton Chicken Noodle Soup and cook for 7 min. There are more ingredients then this but I don't want to go get the recipe and post the whole thing. Obviously you can't use minute rice so I always just used regular white rice. This time I decided to use brown rice because I know it's healthier. I cooked it the same amount of time as the recipe calls for since it just says one cup of rice. When you put all the ingredients together, you bake the casserole in the oven for 25-30 min. The rice came out crunchy and I baked it for 30 min.! Does it take longer for brown rice to cook then white rice? We all ate it but next time I will just use white rice. When I explained what happened to my nephew, who loves this casserole, he didn't care. He ate 2 whole bowls of it! I guess he loves his Auntie Gail! LOL

5 Replies to Does brown rice take longer to cook then white rice?

re: Does brown rice take longer to cook then white rice?
By Tishwah Comments: 586, member since Sun May 17, 2009
On Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:52 PM
In my (awesome) rice cooker it always takes about the twice the amount of time. Brown Rice normally needs more water as well.
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:53 PM
I think it does, I usually buy brown rice but recently cooked white and it cooked a lot faster and was a lot fluffier, which made me wonder if brown rice is just crunchier by nature.
By majahayes Comments: 92, member since Mon Dec 01, 2008
On Thu Feb 12, 2015 08:06 PM
I cook rive in my rice cooker and brown rice takes more water and it takes longer to cook. I can only assume it would take longer on the stove top also.
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Thu Feb 12, 2015 08:15 PM
If I had known this before hand I would have bought white rice. I didn't know as we usually have white rice. I just assumed it was the same. I also like wild rice but I don't know how that would be either. I guess we will just use white rice. I thought if we left it in longer in the oven it wouldn't be so crunchy. Then to warm it up we put it in the microwave and I thought that would help but no, it's still crunchy like it's still raw. I don't have a rice cooker so I can't comment about that.

Thanks for all your help guys.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:49 PM
Applying more heat won't help - you're just drying it out at this point. More moisture would have solved the problem in the moment, but now it just is what it is. You can't add more moisture now without destroying it.

ReplySendWatch