Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

Gelsey Kirkland vs. Cincinnati Ballet SI
By Depp
On Tue Feb 17, 2015 07:51 PM

My DD was accepted into GKA & Cincinnati Ballet SI. She is having a hard time deciding. Which is the better and more challenging program? Please help
Thanks!!

4 Replies to Gelsey Kirkland vs. Cincinnati Ballet SI

re: Gelsey Kirkland vs. Cincinnati Ballet SI
By nycsylphmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Feb 19, 2015 06:41 AM
Depp -

Congratulations to you and your daughter. These are both great programs where I'm sure your daughter will learn a lot and improve.

Is "better and more challenging" the only criteria? Since "better" is pretty subjective depending on you and your daughter's goals, I'll rely on "more challenging". In this category, I'd give the nod to GKA.

Gelsey Kirkland is a living legend who has a unique approach to ballet. She has specific ideas that are not generally taught and that are unique to her. In other words, she was a dancer (did I mention living legend?), she developed her own perspective (drawing the best from many sources), and is now teaching it. She is not shy about demanding the best and doing all she can to bring this out of her students. So if your daughter is more centered on improving this type of classic ballet technique where every movement means something and you're not just dancing steps you're telling a story, then I'd give the nod to GKA. I'd like to add that both Ms. Kirkland and her husband Michael Chernov know the system and why dancers are chosen for companies so this also is a very good connection to have.

If you/her focus is on learning ballet and other forms of dance, then it would be Cincinnati Ballet. And since they both have companies, I don't think it should be a factor, but if your daughter has her eye on dancing for one or the other, well, you'd have your own answer! :)

What were her impressions of the audition? Did she have a gut feeling about either in terms of which she preferred or felt was more conducive to her learning? The audition is a small taste of things to come so it's something to consider.

Again, if challenging is what you want, I'd go with GKA. The other thing is that it'll put in NYC which is the hub of great dance. Of course, I don't know her age, but to me, it would be very useful and beneficial to have GKA on her resume and to get that solid training under her belt.

Good luck to her and to you, and please let us know how it goes.
By SarahElizL
On Sun Mar 15, 2015 04:47 PM
The Cincinnati Ballet Company came to a city near me to do their Nutcracker, I was cast in it and worked with them on a regular basis! I don't know much about which summer program would suit you and your daughter better, but I can say that the dancers and faculty at CBC were extremely nice and supportive! I also have an autoimmune disease and they were very understanding with whatever limitations I had at the time! Like I said as far as the "better" program I don't know but I know that she would be surrounded by wonderful people at CBC! :)
By MeaMSBMD
On Sun Mar 15, 2015 07:19 PM
Actually, I've heard terrible things about GKA... While Gelsey kirkland was certainly an amazing dancer, she may not be the best at running a school. A friend of mine described her experience at GKA as a mess. She said that , because it's a relatively new school, they don't have the organization or expertise that an older school has. I've also heard that the class sizes are too large. I would not consider GKA a big name school, but I think that it could be in the future. It's too young of a school to see how successful its students are. On the other hand, cincinatti ballet has produced some amazing dancers - including a personal favorite of mine, David Donnelly of the Royal Ballet. Cincinatti ballet is also a smaller school, in Ohio, so class sizes are definitely smaller and your daughter would get a lot more attention. I think it would be safe to say that she would be equally challenged at cincinatti and at GKA. Also, I don't think that GKA has a professional company... They may have a studio company .... If I were your child, I would choose to go to cincinatti over GKA, but it's really up to you and what you want in a program. Liking the way the audition was taught would be a good place to go off of.
By MeaMSBMD
On Sun Mar 15, 2015 07:21 PM
Actually, I've heard terrible things about GKA... While Gelsey kirkland was certainly an amazing dancer, she may not be the best at running a school. A friend of mine described her experience at GKA as a mess. She said that , because it's a relatively new school, they don't have the organization or expertise that an older school has. I've also heard that the class sizes are too large. I would not consider GKA a big name school, but I think that it could be in the future. It's too young of a school to see how successful its students are. On the other hand, cincinatti ballet has produced some amazing dancers - including a personal favorite of mine, David Donnelly of the Royal Ballet. Cincinatti ballet is also a smaller school, in Ohio, so class sizes are definitely smaller and your daughter would get a lot more attention. I think it would be safe to say that she would be equally challenged at cincinatti and at GKA. Also, I don't think that GKA has a professional company... They may have a studio company .... If I were your child, I would choose to go to cincinatti over GKA, but it's really up to you and what you want in a program. Liking the way the audition was taught would be a good place to go off of.

ReplySendWatch