Forum: Arts / Pets

Pets
Do dogs who are neutured have testicles?
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Wed Feb 18, 2015 03:34 PM

My dog got fixed when he was about 4 months old.

He was humping his bed today, and his whole penis came out. It took about 10 minutes to retract. I panicked a bit, but since it went back to normal, I left him alone.

Vet bills are super expensive, but I think he still has his testicles? I took a photo of it, but I am not sure if what I am seeing is normal. I don't want to spend $500+ to go to the vet, if it is just a normal thing.

Do people who know dogs know if this is normal? I can post a photo, but I am not sure if dog penises are against TOS.

11 Replies to Do dogs who are neutured have testicles?

re: Do dogs who are neutured have testicles?
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Wed Feb 18, 2015 04:13 PM
They remove the testes when they neuter (unless there is some new procedure I'm unaware of). I don't know how you don't know if your dog has testicles (he should have his penis, but no balls). But I did some googling and this is not a rare question.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Wed Feb 18, 2015 04:32 PM
When it stuck out...he had 2 balls next to his penis. When it is under his skin...it doesn't show up.

I called the vet and she said not to worry if it goes back in. It went back in...but it scared me like hell.
By highlandrebelmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1138, member since Fri Jul 06, 2007
On Wed Feb 18, 2015 04:48 PM
Edited by highlandrebel (182229) on 2015-02-18 16:50:09
Oh, I know exactly what is going on :)
My neutered dog had the same thing happen and I took him to vet. Seems this is a pretty common misunderstanding!

Dogs have bulbus glandis next to their penis. They can swell when the dog become excited or needs to pee and look *exactly* like testicles. Especially on small dogs, where the length between the testicles (or where the testicles were) and where the bulbus glandis resides is very small.
The bulbus glandis is a normal part of male dog anatomy, used to create the tie during breeding and they are not removed during neutering.

As for the penis being stuck out, it is normal but if it goes on for more than an hour, it is a medical emergency and a vet visit is in order.

And there actually is now a method of sterilizing your dog without removing the testicles (there is also the very rare vasectomy option) called zeutering. Just a random factoid!
re: Do dogs who are neutured have testicles? (karma: 1)
By Tishwah Comments: 586, member since Sun May 17, 2009
On Wed Feb 18, 2015 05:09 PM
www.neuticles.com :D

(And thank you for causing "Silicon dog testicles" to appear my my work computer's search history)
By LoriCook Comments: 1762, member since Mon Aug 17, 2009
On Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:22 PM
I'm glad you didn't go to the vet, my sister took her dog in for the same issue and they laughed and laughed. Told her to stop touching it and it would go away!
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:50 PM
Tishwah wrote:

www.neuticles.com :D

(And thank you for causing "Silicon dog testicles" to appear my my work computer's search history)
OMG! If I didn't know better I'd be going WHY? but, show dogs. My dog Petya used to be a show dog, and he must have felt so out of place being the only boy with no balls, lol. :L
re: Do dogs who are neutured have testicles? (karma: 1)
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Fri Feb 20, 2015 01:07 PM
You can't show a dog that's been neutered at regulated kennel club shows, one of the things a judge has to do in all dog classes is check that the dog is entire and has both balls.
By highlandrebelmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1138, member since Fri Jul 06, 2007
On Fri Feb 20, 2015 05:33 PM
Most testicle implants are for monorchid (possessing only a single testicle) or cryptorchid (testicles withdrawn into the abdomen) or neutered show dogs. Dogs have to have two descended testicles in order to complete (other than the odd 'altered' class).

The other use is to help owners’ self-esteem. And I am for it if they encourage pet owners to neuter that would not have otherwise.
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Sat Feb 21, 2015 01:05 PM
hummingbird wrote:

You can't show a dog that's been neutered at regulated kennel club shows, one of the things a judge has to do in all dog classes is check that the dog is entire and has both balls.
Actually, you can. It depends on the show, though. Not all shows accept neutered dogs, but some do. Granted, my dog went to shows which were less about breed quality and more about things like agility and skill.

When it comes to silicone inserts, some dogs have to get 1 testicle removed and you have to be aware that there are cheaters who claim to have intact dogs. (And then people get scammed out of getting puppies not born from the show dog)
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sat Feb 21, 2015 01:22 PM
That would be an exemption show, i.e. it's exempt from kennel club rules and even at most of these the pedigree classes still insist on no surgical alterations including neutering. Agility trials are, well agility trials, they're not dog shows, I know most people who have working trial and obedience dogs would be very put out if you described their animals as show dogs.

Male show dogs need to be entire, the ruling is that they have to be able to reproduce naturally if that's what's required by the owner, they must also have not been surgically altered at all. In England this includes docking tails and pricking ears because this would be classed as a surgical enhancement.

I'm glad that you've found out what the problem is YYD and I'm very glad I don't have to pay $500 for a check up on my animals at the vets, that's extortionate!
On Sun Feb 22, 2015 05:04 PM
Not to hijack this further but I think some clarification is needed.

UKC, AKC, CKC (Canadian Kennel Club) all have altered conformation classes available for dogs who are spayed/neutered. Altered AKC classes are a little uncommon, CKC requires altered classes be available and UKC is looking at having altered and intact dogs competing side by side.
I honestly don't know about The Kennel Club, I have never been able to find a rule which okays or nixes altered dogs in conformation classes (and you have to pay for their rule book so....). But you can ask for permission to show a dog that has been altered in any way.

A big reason why The Kennel Club (England) banned cropped dogs is because the surgery is often used to alter the look of a dog whose ear set is incorrect for the breed (IE. a dropped ear instead of a rose ear).
However docked dogs are allowed to show sometimes (depending on when and where the dog was docked, where they are showing in the UK and if a fee is being changed to watch the show) because it is a government ban.

'Dog shows', at least in the US/Canada cover a range of exhibitions put on by the group including agility and other sports. It isn't limited to just conformation. But this may be different in England. A show dog usually refers to a dog which competes in conformation.

ReplySendWatch