Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

Alvin Ailey or Joffrey NYC
By amy00
On Sun Feb 22, 2015 09:02 PM

Anyone have an opinion on which is a better program? Joffrey pre-professional or Joffrey experience vs. Ailey junior program (even though I know Ailey is contemporary/ballet and joffrey is pretty much just ballet)

How selective are these programs? Is it hard to get into these?

1 Replies to Alvin Ailey or Joffrey NYC

re: Alvin Ailey or Joffrey NYC
By nycsylphmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Feb 24, 2015 07:54 AM
Neither program is that selective on body type.

In terms of the use "better", "better" really applies to what your goal is, and since I don't know yours, it's difficult to answer the question.

Ailey is a great program. Ailey dancers are beautiful, strong and know how to tell a story while generating passion and excitement. The Horton technique is a wonderful weapon to have in your arsenal. If you haven't been introduced to it, this would be something to strongly consider in selecting a program.

The Joffrey offers solid training also. They also have varied disciplines and it all depends on what you're hoping to get out of the program.

You have two good choices and I really don't know which you should choose. I'd really focus on what your goal is and where you need more strength in terms of your dancing. Once you identify it, I think it should be easy to choose between these programs.

Oh, and the Ailey studios are just superb! I meant to mention that because they really do have a spectacular space.

ReplySendWatch