Forum: Advice / Ask a Judge

Ask a Judge
Choosing an experience level for dancer at competition?
By DMF_13 Comments: 4, member since Fri Jan 20, 2012
On Sun Feb 22, 2015 09:03 PM

This is my daughters third year in dance. Second year in competition. She was placed in the intermediate category last year but received a very low score and I believed she was not ready for that level but had to enter because that's the level her group was in. This year she has improved but only in her turns, going to be honest. She can do several turn combinations
8 seconds
8 fouettes
any combination of the two
No more then a double pirouette though..
and fairly clean but still is very beginner like in the rest of her dance. The extra competition she gets to choose what level she competes in. According to the website she should be in beginner, but her level of turns is intermediate (to me) while the rest of her dance is kiddish. Any advice in which level to put her in? Thank you!

4 Replies to Choosing an experience level for dancer at competition?

re: Choosing an experience level for dancer at competition?
By hummingbird Comments: 10412, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sun Feb 22, 2015 09:15 PM
Enter her according to the competition rules, three years of dance training is fairly normal for beginner or junior categories. Don't mess with the rules or you could get found out and disqualified.
By DMF_13 Comments: 4, member since Fri Jan 20, 2012
On Sun Feb 22, 2015 09:21 PM
Honestly she is stuck. Based on years she is beginner. Based on class time she is intermediate. Dance could be either or.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:38 PM
If she can do 8 seconds and 8 fouetees, then I find the idea that she'd be in the beginner level to be kind of insulting, really. If fouettes are all she can do well - as you seem to be insinuating is the case (because that's how you're justifying entering her in the beginner level), then you need to be finding an instructor that's going to build her into a more well rounded dancer, and not just teach her a bunch of tricks.
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:09 AM
Follow the guidelines as best as possible. Usually there are 3 criteria for being in the beginner group. Sometimes you have to qualify for 2 out of the 3 and sometimes all 3. If she is taking too many classes to be in the beginner category then she really needs to go into intermediate even if she is going to get some low scores. If she isn't ready for that, then maybe she isn't ready to be competing a solo right now.

I just had some kids enter the "teen" category from juniors last year and they aren't used to not placing in overalls. Some knew this and are dealing just fine, and some are crying all the way home from competition. I don't think they learn much from winning every weekend and making it as easy as possible. In my city most studios have a tendency to enter their kids in categories they don't really belong in - and because everyone does it, nobody gets busted. You don't want to call out another studio when you are doing it yourself. Either way it's about teaching your kid integrity and not cutting corners in competition. Easier said than done though when its your own kid.

ReplySendWatch