Forum: Highland / Highland - Guys

Highland - Guys
Where to find a shillelagh
By tinemarie Comments: 20, member since Tue Sep 25, 2012
On Tue Feb 24, 2015 06:19 PM

Okay, so the guy's costuming is driving me up a wall. I feel WAY out of my depth, and I am not finding a lot of help on the internet (typing in search boxes, I mean. Not here!) or in real life.
HOW do you find a shillelagh? Many I see online are 3 feet long or longer, but from videos of the dance I have seen, the shillelaghs are shorter than that.
Anyone know where to find this?

Christine

4 Replies to Where to find a shillelagh

re: Where to find a shillelagh
By Dancinlassie Comments: 249, member since Sun Jul 29, 2007
On Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:56 PM
My husband used a tree branch, cut it down to about 11 inches long, whittled it into shape and I think perhaps did a light sanding. It's quite smooth with no splinters. You don't want it to be too long or too heavy because they need to be able to shake it, switch hands behind their backs and I think I've seen some guys twirl it.
By LoriCook Comments: 1762, member since Mon Aug 17, 2009
On Wed Feb 25, 2015 05:35 PM
There used to be a UK dance shop online where you could buy one but I can't find it. Here's one on etsy. www.etsy.com . . .

I think is better to hack down a tree branch and make your own. Remove the bark but don't sand it too much. Ours is made from a cherry tree branch and he's never lost grip on it.
By Dancing_Pigletmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 601, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Mon Mar 02, 2015 01:29 PM
You can sometimes pick them up on ebay. I'm sure that's where both of mine came from.

Marnie
By aamum Comments: 49, member since Mon May 10, 2010
On Wed Mar 04, 2015 08:06 PM
Just go and cut an appropriately shaped and sized branch from a tree. Strip the bark and finish it (or not). Voila!

ReplySendWatch