Forum: Arts / Food & Beverage

Food & Beverage
I need a chunky pasta sauce recipe using cherry tomatoes.
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Fri Feb 27, 2015 02:27 PM

Our Super Stop and Shop has a section in the back that has food that is about to go bad. Fruits and veggies. I got a huge bag of cherry tomatoes for next to nothing. When I was at a preschool function the woman who was doing a cooking class made cherry tomatoes in something and they were warm and gooey and yummy. I never liked them cold but I did like this. I think she sliced them in half before she cooked them. I tried to make a tomato sauce with some and it came out good. The tomatoes were a little chunky, not smooth like most sauces. I think I kind of smashed the tomatoes but they were not totally smashed. However, I never wrote down what I did to make it and now I can't remember. All I remember is I added some garlic, grated parmesan and butter and olive oil. Does anyone have a good recipe that they make? I have to make it soon so I don't waste any tomatoes.

3 Replies to I need a chunky pasta sauce recipe using cherry tomatoes.

re: I need a chunky pasta sauce recipe using cherry tomatoes.
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Fri Feb 27, 2015 04:24 PM
Here is a recipe I found online that doesn't look too bad

8 c. cherry tomatoes or 24 medium tomatoes
2 medium onions, quartered
8-10 garlic cloves, peeled
olive oil
salt
basil leaves
1-3 cans tomato paste, optional (I never use tomato paste personally)

1. Wash and stem the cherry tomatoes or wash and core the whole tomatoes. Split them evenly, in a single layer, between 2 9×13″ baking dishes. The larger tomatoes can be left whole; they will break down during the roasting process. Toss the quartered onions and peeled garlic cloves evenly between the two pans. Drizzle with olive oil and season generously with salt.

2. Roast at 425 for 30-40 minutes. The timing isn’t an exact science. The combination will smell incredibly fragrant, and the tomatoes and onions will look wrinkled, roasted, and slightly charred. For a thicker sauce, cook longer and stir occasionally to keep from burning. Remove the pans from the oven and set on the counter to cool for 10-15 minutes.

3. Place a large colander inside a large bowl and dump the pans into the colander to strain out the juice. Set the juice aside.

4. Scoop the tomato mixture into the bowl of a blender or food processor; add the basil leaves. Puree until it reaches the desired consistency. Dump the pureed tomato sauce into the reserved juice and stir until thoroughly combined. Season with additional salt, if needed. (You could also add tomato paste if you desire a thicker sauce.)

5. Serve immediately as pasta or pizza sauce or freeze in plastic containers or bags for later use.

*You can also roast some carrots and celery with the tomatoes for added flavor

**I would add some oregano, and salt and pepper to taste**

***I would also add some a half cup of oaky red wine to add some depth***
On Fri Feb 27, 2015 08:12 PM
That doesn't sound to bad. I don't like the taste of wine so I'd leave that out. I can taste alcohol when it's added to food. I found a few recipes like this. I guess I can leave it chunky when I put it in the food processor or blender, just not blend it so much. Thanks!
On Sat Feb 28, 2015 08:59 PM
I made the sauce. It looks pretty good but when I finally put it in the blender it was late so I never tasted it, i just froze it. I'm sure its good though. One thing I added was some grated parmesan cheese. Thanks again for the recipe. I saved the recipe so I can make it again. They had more cherry tomatoes today on that table where things are starting to go bad but I didn't buy any. Now I wish I had. If they still have some next week I will buy them and make more.

ReplySendWatch