Forum: Adults / Adult Dancers

Adult Dancers
Need advice on getting turns back
By Purple_Tutu Comments: 2, member since Tue Mar 03, 2015
On Tue Mar 03, 2015 03:13 PM

Hello, I am new to this forum and really hoping you guys can enlighten me. I danced ballet seriously for many years into my twenties and then had to stop for 25 years. I recently started taking class again and am finding the weirdest issue…I get dizzy when I turn.

I used to be known for turning…i could easily do 3, 4 or even 5 turns and fouettes were my thing. Now I feel literally ill after more than a single pirouette or 3 pique turns.

Is this an issue with spotting? Have I forgotten how to spot and I think i am doing it correctly but I'm not? Does this go away over time? Aaaargh! This is so frustrating. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

4 Replies to Need advice on getting turns back

re: Need advice on getting turns back
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Tue Mar 03, 2015 09:41 PM
It's very simple really, as we get older our bodies change and so does our centre of balance, when I danced professionally I had no boobs and hips, I came back to dancing properly after having had four kids and had to learn how to turn all over again :D
By pharmadancermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3459, member since Tue Mar 16, 2004
On Wed Mar 04, 2015 05:06 AM
I don't know the answer to this, but I sympathize. I am in my mid-thirties and have been dancing for 20 years, but a couple of years ago I took a break from dance for 3 years (went back to school), and ever since I've had a heck of a time getting over the dizziness that ensues when I try to turn.

I have noticed (because it's been a couple of years that I've been back) that it does get better... I am still dizzy after a long series of pique turns, but no longer dizzy after a double pirouette... so maybe it's just a matter of getting used to the feeling of turning, getting the details of spotting back, etc.

I hope it gets even better over time - I love turning, and get frustrated that I need to "unwind" after each series!
By Purple_Tutu Comments: 2, member since Tue Mar 03, 2015
On Wed Mar 04, 2015 09:07 AM
Thank you for your feedback. I wasn't sure if this was something "normal" since I really didn't see a lot of people posting about it. If it is an issue that may get better with time, i would not spend the money or time to go to the doctor to get it checked but perhaps that would not be a bad idea.

I know 25 years is a long time to be away from dancing so maybe I am expecting too much to be back to turning like I used to within six months of taking class again? You guys all seem to be bouncing back well so I have hope. My flexibility is also slow to come back. ugh.
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7417, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Wed Mar 04, 2015 02:27 PM
Yes--your brain remembers so vividly, but your body has to play catch up a bit longer. I think feeling ill has less to do with spotting, but your body readjusting to the momentum you're expecting of it. Once you build up the tolerance for that again, all of your returning technique and skill (spotting) will feel like it is helping you a lot more. Give yourself some time, and keep at it! It's so good to get back into class, so be proud of yourself!

ReplySendWatch