Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

The Rock School of Dance or The Harid Conservatory
By balletmom21
On Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:22 AM

My DD 14 has been accepted to the The Harid Conservatory and to the Rock level 3x but with full scholarship. This would be her first ballet intensive so we have nothing to compare it to or experience on them for that matter. I would appreciate any advice. I'm concern about quality of training and attention to the dancer. Need to make a decision soon.

5 Replies to The Rock School of Dance or The Harid Conservatory

re: The Rock School of Dance or The Harid Conservatory
By MeaMSBMD
On Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:16 PM
The rock school is a huge program. Their class sizes are really big and your dd won't get the same attention as she would at a smaller program. However, the full scholarship is something to consider. Harid is a much smaller program , but without scholarship it's also very expensive. You also want to consider training method. The Harid Conservatory is vaganova-based while the rock school is definitely not. You may also want to consider location. Will either school require a plane ticket? Will you be able to come quickly if something happens? Would your kid rather spend the summer in boca raton or in Philadelphia? If I were in your position, I would choose to go to Harid over the Rock school, but it really depends on what your daughter wants to improve. the rock school really focuses on jumps and turns, so if that's what she's looking to improve, it may be a great option.
By amy00
On Wed Mar 04, 2015 04:56 PM
Congratulations to your DD! I was also accepted into the Rock in level 3x. However I've decided to go to a different intensive instead. The large class sizes should be a very big concern of yours which was what ultimately lead me to my decision to not go. The Rock School doesn't have a limit to the amount of students that they accept into their program. While it is a great program, I believe Harid may be a better option.
But to have that full scholarship is VERY helpful, especially if you'll need to board in Philly. Overall, I would hone in on what kind of training method each program offers and use that to help decide. Both are great programs so your DD should have a good summer either way!
By balletmom21
On Thu Mar 05, 2015 08:54 AM
Thank you so much for responding!!! You guys make good points. I was concern about class size too...I thought maybe if she had a scholarship she would might get more attention. But i'm not so sure that would be the case being that they have so many students. I liked that the program is 6 weeks as opposed to 4 weeks from Harid.
By nycsylphmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Mar 05, 2015 09:30 AM
Without a doubt, The Harid Conservatory.

If you can afford it, please don't throw that opportunity away.
By juicykiwi7
On Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:01 AM
I went to the Rock School at level 3X three years ago (also at age 14). It was a great experience, and I definitely improved a ton. The teachers were great, and even though the class sizes were big, I still received corrections. There were a lot of different teachers, and each teacher seemed to target certain people to correct. My best advice for getting attention is to get to the front of the class. Some things to think about: the class sizes were large and were based mainly off of skill not age. There were a lot of 12 year olds in my class, and it made me feel as if I was really bad for my age. I'm not sure how the levels work at Harid, but at another SI I went to, the levels were based off of both skill and age, so there would be multiple classes for the same level but with different age groups. That seemed to work well for everyone. Another thing to think about: Housing is important. The Rock School itself is located at a not so great part of Philadelphia, but the housing is in the suburbs at Cabrini college. It was very green, and I got to run around a lot with friends. We had access to the college library and there were tennis courts and lots of fun things to do. We had a lot of free time, but we weren't allowed to leave the campus unless with an adult. Parents could visit any time they wanted. My grandma came and took me out to dinner one time. There are also lots of fun excursions to do over the weekend. I know this isn't as important as the dance education part of it, but it's definitely good to consider. Finally: The Rock was my first SI experience, and it was also the first for my roommate and my dormmates. It was the first for a lot of people there. We were all in the same boat, and it worked out really well for all of us. I can't give you any advice about Harid, but I'm sure that no matter what choice you make, your kid will have a wonderful time.

ReplySendWatch