Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

Irina and Maxim International Ballet Summer Intensive or Koltun Ballet Summer Intensive
By rockymountainmom
On Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:00 PM

Hello! My daughter is looking for a one-week program for the first week of August so that she has 6 full weeks of dance before we go on a family vacation. (She's doing 5 weeks at another program).

Does anyone have any feedback on Irina & Maxim International Ballet Summer Intensive of the Koltun Ballet Summer Intensive? Trying to make a decision about which one she should go to.

Thank you.

4 Replies to Irina and Maxim International Ballet Summer Intensive or Koltun Ballet Summer Intensive

re: Irina and Maxim International Ballet Summer Intensive or Koltun Ballet Summer Intensive
By Serendipity42Premium member
On Mon Mar 09, 2015 06:04 PM
Never heard of the Irina and Maxim, but Koltun has a great program!
re: Irina and Maxim International Ballet Summer Intensive or Koltun Ballet Summer Intensive
By SwordInStone
On Mon Mar 09, 2015 06:26 PM
Edited by SwordInStone (239239) on 2015-03-09 18:29:01
Wait, as in Dvorovenko and Beloserkovsky? They've started a summer intensive? I read another member saying that it's good to study with famous dancers because they've been through the profession and know the details of how it works (I think she was talking about Gelsey Kirkland), so that might be helpful if your daughter is older and about to audition for companies. Some students just need to learn, while others might benefit more from networking and meeting the right connections. If your daughter needs to list her teachers on her resume, then you two can choose the intensive based on the teachers who will be present.

Especially since it's only one week, the Irina and Maksim intensive sounds really exciting, see. And if they're teaching partnering classes, then that's a perfect opportunity.
By nycsylphmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Mar 12, 2015 07:57 AM
Edited by nycsylph (206174) on 2015-03-12 09:22:07
Agree that Koltun offers good, solid training. Can't go wrong there. I especially love that in the promo trailer, that Alexandra is shown manipulating the student's limbs and correcting the positions through a manual hands-on methodology. It's a very effective way to learn.

In terms of Irina and Maxim, I didn't even know they were starting up a summer program. It's a welcome addition. Since it's unknown to me, I looked at the pics/faculty and see that Irina's mother, Olga Dvorovenko, is teaching. Now here's someone I do know. Olga has taught at BAE for a few years and gives outstanding children's classes. I used to look in on her character, regular/pointe classes and she's an amazing teacher. The combinations were challenging and meant to strengthen and improve technique. Let me tell you, those students were working hard to get through those classes! :P They were sweating bullets and panting like crazy, but in a positive way.

Either would be fine. :)
By rockymountainmom
On Thu Mar 12, 2015 09:56 AM
Thank you all so much for your very helpful feedback! Glad to know that she'll likely get some great training no matter which one we choose. So I guess it'll come down to whether she wants a week in NY or a week outside of Boston! :)

ReplySendWatch