Forum: Irish / Irish

Looking for new dress, and Frustrated!
By cuteirishdancer
On Mon Mar 09, 2015 01:24 PM

I don't want to start any bad feelings, but help me understand WHY all these homemade, used and even OLD dresses are still so expensive? I have looked for months online at all the different sites like Feis Dresses and Dance Again especially, and there are so many (in my opinion) OLD and UGLY ones and used multiple times---some that are obviously HOMEMADE and yet people are asking upwards of $500-$1000 or even more for them??

I like to think I maybe understand where they are coming from, but not in a ridiculous way. I have a beautiful dress that is not a BNDM, yet professionally made, perfect condition and does NOT look homemade, but I can't even sell it for $700 I'm asking for, so it's obvious I need to go lower if I really want to sell it. Yes, I want to make as much as I can before it's truly 'out of style' or need to lower after time, but after spending nearly $1300 on it, I don't want to just give it away after barely 6 wearings over 1 year either.

I don't know, it's just frustrating, maybe because I wish we could spend $2,000-3,000 on a brand new one every time we need one, which isn't ever going to happen..........and folks that DID spend that much then want to get near what they paid, when it's clearly out-of-date by more than a couple years.

I mean, aren't there just thousands of irish dresses unsold out there? Sitting in peoples closets? Lying flat under their beds? Not being kept for sentimental reasons?

People, please, please help the 'irish' community and lower the prices on these! Sell them so they can get danced in---by the Novice, Prizewinners,a dn even Champs dancers---not so you can get what you paid or what you think it should be. Look at it objectively and think--is this really worth this much now? Not all of us can afford the brand new thousands of dollars gorgeous dresses, and you aren't going to get (near) what you paid for when you sell them. Or even better, let someone borrow it that needs one if it's not going to sell?

Yes, those BNDM dresses are awesome and near worth the price. (I still think you're paying through the nose for the name too though). I wish we could get one every time we needed a new dress too, but alas, I have to keep looking for the 'right' dress for the right price. That's the whole name of the game, I know. Wishing this sport wasn't so expensive. Vent. Vent. Wah.

7 Replies to Looking for new dress, and Frustrated!

re: Looking for new dress, and Frustrated!
By luckycharms5
On Mon Mar 09, 2015 07:48 PM
Your points are well made. I have seen some dresses that we have seen being danced at many feises and they are way up there in price. You know they have been danced in many times. Also, people in our own school who are the second and third owner try to pass along at a high price and we all know that they have been worn so many times.

Has anyone heard of what happens to new cars as soon as your drive them off the showroom? Some folks are in la-la land over the prices.

My advice is that if you see something that you like, throw the owner a bone of an offer. You have nothing to lose - maybe they may be desperate and take your offer or negotiate down to something manageable for you.
By cut12bum
On Wed Mar 11, 2015 01:13 PM
I think the problem is that even an older dress has several hundred dollars worth of crystals on it. So sometimes it seems like less of a hassle to just hang on to an older dress and perhaps reuse the stones later.

I've been procrastinating on putting my daughter's last dress online. It's a Siopa, but a few years old now, so not exactly the newest style, and it's heavily stoned. Perhaps I'll go ahead and post it and see if anyone wants it. :)
By CarleIrishDancer
On Sat Mar 14, 2015 08:57 AM
I sometimes make dresses for the AG dolls of the dancers at my studio. When you start making nice quality things yourself, it's easier to justify the price of expensive things. My school has on dress that is a simple black dress with pink crisscross ribbons on the chest. It's simple to duplicate, but the fabric is $14.99 a yard. Could you imagine spending that on a human dress, which would need 2-3 yards? Most of the prices are based on the cost of the material. Crystals, thread, etc aren't cheap when you start doing them on a large scale. But I do agree the price of a used dress is stupid. I bought a beautiful, but out of style dress for $300. I think that's priced well. Some of the dresses however, are priced at $800 and the dress is plain out ugly. I think that each of the dresses should be priced so they can be danced in. Most girls don't care if the dress is a Gavin or not. If they like it and it's a fair price, then they'll buy it. Irish dance should NOT be this expensive!
By IrishLizzymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:10 AM
Edited by IrishLizzy (101326) on 2015-03-14 11:14:53 added something
Edited by IrishLizzy (101326) on 2015-03-14 11:20:59
I was having a similar conversation the other day...and I've had it many many other times before. People expect too much for their used dress. I understand wanting to get back a good chunk of change after spending $3000 on it, but you can't always expect a buyer to want to fork over $1900 on something that's already been danced in several times (think sweat, make up, tan all after one use).
But I think the problem really lies within the ever changing styles. Because people want to keep up they feel that they can't dance in their dress for more than a year before it goes out of date. Teachers push them to go to BNDM and get the trendiest styles. Children in novice and prizewinner don't dance in school dresses anymore but want a custom dress. All of this leads to what we have now, an overwhelming mound of dresses for sale and their sellers wanting to get as much for them as possible.

Something else I'm noticing is that used dresses just aren't selling much at all, even when the price is good. I have two BNDM dresses for sale, one is in near perfect condition, the other in good condition, they are a few years old, I've had them up for months and I've had one response each. That's it. People just don't want to buy used anymore. Everyone wants custom. Unless you're practically giving it away, it seems like no one will even give your dress a second look. That is definitely frustrating.

It's unfortunate that Irish dance has evolved into this. I wish we could go back to the days of earning a solo dress and not getting one custom made in novice, buying used, wearing your dress until you out grew it, when the prices didn't mean you had to mortgage your house.

I'm not against new styles and dresses are lighter now than they used to be, but I do think things have gone too far and I hope the "progress" slows down. Otherwise, Irish dance will only be for the rich.

*I just wanted to add that I used to be one of those people who bought into the idea that you needed a new dress every year. I was at a school where all the favorite dancers did that, so I thought that's how things worked. I regret it, what a waste of money! Save your cash for something else, private lessons, new shoes, gas so you can drive to class! haha.
By dannylewinPremium member
On Thu May 14, 2015 05:01 AM
Have you checked out wwww.usedsolodresses.com? Another site to add to your list of sites to browse! :)
By paravel
On Tue May 19, 2015 03:03 PM
I kinda wish solo dresses weren't a "thing" at all, that costumes were kept simple and everyone could just focus on the dancing.

If I had a couple thousand dollars lying around, I would rather spend it on some privates or maybe a dance camp that would actually improve my child's dancing skills.
By kss
On Tue May 19, 2015 07:09 PM
Edited by kss (271903) on 2015-05-19 19:10:40
paravel wrote:

I kinda wish solo dresses weren't a "thing" at all, that costumes were kept simple and everyone could just focus on the dancing.

If I had a couple thousand dollars lying around, I would rather spend it on some privates or maybe a dance camp that would actually improve my child's dancing skills.

You took the words right out of my mouth. My ID daughter feels the same way. Our school has them wear school dresses thru pw and I am so very grateful that we didn't have to deal with solo dresses until champs. And since she made champs, I've sure wished she could still wear her school dress.

She is close to growing out of her first solo dress (sob!) and I'm planning to list it for half what I paid for it (used) even though I'm sure I *could* get more. I'd rather get a little less, but get it out of here and know that someone else is using it!

ReplySendWatch