Forum: Advice / Injuries

Shin Splints/ Medial tibial stress syndrome
By alexrigon
On Sun Mar 15, 2015 02:22 PM

I am 39 years, 90 kg, 1.77 cm, a little overweight, left leg shorter than the right of 0.5 cm, ankles and muscles a bit stiff, pronator.
I run for half an hour to an hour a day for twenty years or so, on soft ground as the paths of the parks (not concrete), using shoes to strong pronator Saucony hurricane (that change when I can about every two months).
Two three times years ago I had a problem medial tibial stress (MTSS-shin splints) for the run on hard surfaces and shoes worn and I tried with tecar therapy, surprisingly effective already' with one sitting !! I went limp and left able to run.

Currently I made the mistake do run with worn shoes and got the problem of medial tibial stress (MTSS-shin splints), it s mild, no apin when walking , only if I try to run (I stopped running 3 weeks ago), a bit more lump/swelling on the left lower leg on the medial tibial anterior area (3 cm X 3 cm)

1. I would like to know if the ultrasounds are effective in this case? If so, how many sessions?

2. Stretching exercises and / or enhancement of the ankle / calf as raises on ground with only one calf or move the foot in dorsiflexion or walking on the toes or ankles or leg foam roll is helpful or harmful, since is already inflamed ?

3. What advices? Ice is really useful or not?Also after 3 weeks? I am tempted to try ultrasound, many here tell me to do a massage from a physiotherapist ..Should I also try ice and then after heat?

4 Replies to Shin Splints/ Medial tibial stress syndrome

re: Shin Splints/ Medial tibial stress syndrome
By schuhplattlerPremium member
On Sun Mar 15, 2015 06:41 PM
left leg shorter than the right of 0.5 cm

If this is correctable by chiropractor, get that done right away. If not, get one shoe sole thickened to compensate for this.

Please don't misunderstand. I have nothing against any of the remedies that you suggested.

For others reading this thread, I found a definition of TECAR Therapy here. www.robertofitness.com . . .. It is so new that it has not hit WIKI yet.

And please post something of yourself on the Welcome board. www.dance.net . . .
By Kitkat777
On Sun Mar 15, 2015 08:43 PM
I know for injuries it's always ice the first 24 hours, maybe even 48. Then after that you alternate between ice and heat. Whenever I've had shin splints I like to use a ball and massage them. I find it helps a bit.
By Cheesemoo
On Mon Mar 16, 2015 02:44 PM
Make sure you thoroughly stretch the muscles in your calves and ankles before you begin your run. Although it's on the reverse side of your leg, I've found if I exercise when my calves are tight it puts strain on the front of the leg and makes the shin splints worse. Ice helps me as well, just don't overdo it. I've also had physiotherapists recommend ice massages (you take a large ice cube or chunk of ice and use it to massage the inflamed muscles)
The other thing that's helped me is using compression socks/tubes over my legs. I don't know how much it really helps it to heal, but it does help with the pain.
By UnderwaterBubblemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Mar 20, 2015 03:22 PM
As it's inflammatory, ice it. Self massage your calves.

You might need to see a podiatrist and get orthotics if the shoes aren't giving you enough support. How many single leg calf rises can you do (perfect technique, keeping your knee straight)? 25 would be a good number to aim for. If you've addressed both these things then it is likely that your gluteals aren't doing their job, thus overloading your calves which through their fascial connections pull on the periosteum (skin) of the bone thus causing your symptoms.

ReplySendWatch