Forum: Ballet / Pointe - Beginners

Pointe - Beginners
Is it my fitter or is it me?
By BalletSwan Comments: 34, member since Mon Mar 02, 2015
On Mon Mar 16, 2015 05:16 PM

My friend is posting on my profile. These are her words not the normal BalletSwan. Call her BalletDuck.

Hardy har har Allisyn. I wouldnt appreciate being called a duck. I have been doing pointe for a little bit over a year and I suck. Just downright suck. I fall out of my shoes, break the shanks, barely get over the box and suck even more then that. My fittings at my normal store go a little something like this.

me: uh these didn't work either. they don't fit well.
her: or you didn't dance in them right again.
me: can you fit me again?
her: whatever
*half slacked fitting goes on. whistle while you work*
her: here are the capezio contemporas. size 8D. they fir perfectly.
me: thanks.

Later at class, I have to do the forbidden and wear socks because my toes keep sinking and it feels too big. I can feel everyone giving me the evil eye. Ms. Firebird over here says I can use her account.

There are pictures of me in the Capezio Contemporas and my feet. As seen, I look really bad and I know it. I just need to see if maybe the fit is wrong for my feet.

6 Replies to Is it my fitter or is it me?

re: Is it my fitter or is it me?
By Ristoncormember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 60, member since Wed Dec 03, 2014
On Mon Mar 16, 2015 07:13 PM
Edited by Ristoncor (271572) on 2015-03-16 19:16:43
If you have to wear socks with your shoes, then they're too big. It looks like you haven't sewn ribbons or elastic on them, so I'd return them asking for a smaller size. Make sure you're only trying them on with tights and whatever padding you're going to use in class (gel pads, lamb's wool, etc.)

If you're having trouble with getting over the box and being en pointe, maybe work on strengthening your ankles? But if you're not being fitted right, then it's going to make it hard to be en pointe no matter what.

Luckily, the woman who fits my shoes takes time and asks questions to make sure that the shoes I'm going to buy fit right and feel right. You really need someone to help guide you when you're buying shoes.
By Serendipity42Premium member Comments: 2267, member since Sun Aug 16, 2009
On Mon Mar 16, 2015 08:51 PM
Edited by Serendipity42 (215267) on 2015-03-16 20:55:58 further information to put in
You have a reasonable arch and a flat, strong instep. Because of the instep (the top part of the ankle area), you will need a shorter vamp and likely a softer shank - perhaps even a 3/4 shank.

If you break the shank, then you do have a good, strong arch. A softer shank bends rather than breaks. A 3/4 would do the same.

What brands did she have you try?

Take a look at this site to see if any match your type of foot.

www.the-perfect-pointe.com . . .

I see the Contempora on the list for long vamp, medium profile. While I do see medium profile in the pictures you posted (at least, from the angles given), a long vamp doesn't suit your foot. You need shorter vamp.

When you go the next time, ask for "short vamp, medium or soft shank, or 3/4 shank" styles.

Since you have worn the shoe (the inside gives it away), you won't be able to return them, but you might be able to sell them at a half-price to someone in your studio.
By Gracie220 Comments: 51, member since Tue Feb 24, 2015
On Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:07 PM
LOVE the Master List of Pointe Shoe Specifications that Serendipity shared. It's been very helpful on several occasions. Hopefully they will eventually update it...
By saaammiemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 440, member since Thu Apr 01, 2010
On Tue Mar 17, 2015 02:23 PM
Even I (barely done ballet for 2 years) can see immediately that the vamp is too long. ;)
Did the fitter forget his glasses that day or what?
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Wed Mar 18, 2015 04:47 AM
The vamp is way too long and the box is too wide. Give Grishko Nova a go in XXX. They have a shorter vamp and have a more well distributed semi-tapered box to them.
By taxi4ballet Comments: 137, member since Fri Sep 07, 2012
On Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:45 AM
My dd was always told that you should show the shoes to your teacher before you sew any ribbons on or wear them so your teacher can check that they are happy with the fit and that the style suits you. If they have been used or sewn in any way then the store won't take them back or exchange them for another pair.

Is there another store you could go to for a fitting instead?

ReplySendWatch