Forum: Advice / Emergency

Emergency
Does this look normal? (skin glue/ glue sutures)
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:15 PM
Edited by majere (186163) on 2015-03-18 23:11:42

Okay, so I had outpatient surgery last Thursday to remove my implanon. When they gave me my instructions for wound care I was still pretty much drugged. I'm 99% sure they said they used glue and if I had written instructions the are not with the rest of the papers I received. I left it uncovered for the first time tonight while I showered and it burned like hell, it is still uncovered and stings every minute or two. And just looking at it is freaking me out (when I've been changing bandages I haven't really been looking at it because it was freaking me out, left it uncovered because I ran out of the bandages they gave me). I don't know if it is normal or not or if I should be worried. I tried googling but I was just freaking myself out.

The redness is from the adhesives from the bandages (I have very sensitive skin).
i61.photobucket.com . . .

I know y'all aren't doctors, but I figure someone here might have had skin glue used before and know what it is supposed to look like.

Edit: now that I have looked at it closer (because I'm calmed down enough to closely examined it) I'm thinking they used dissolvable sutures. Which I have no memory of the doctor saying that he did do that.

2 Replies to Does this look normal? (skin glue/ glue sutures)

re: Does this look normal? (skin glue/ glue sutures)
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 635, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:52 AM
Hi! I had my gallbladder removed almost 1.5 yrs ago now, and all 4 incisions were closed using surgical skin glue (e.g,: surgical superglue). It's hard to tell from the picture you linked to what the incision is or how it is closed, as it is not more of a close up.

However all that said, the one thing I can tell you is my incisions never stung or bothered me at all, even when I showered with them. The doc told me the glue glob over each incision would just loosen up over time and would fall off after about 2.5 weeks and they did exactly that.

So if you are experiencing problems or think something is wrong, you should contact your doctor or the doc who did your procedure immediately. You would not want an infection to get out of hand (may be a reason for the continued stinging) or maybe you are allergic to the glue. Call your doc immediately.
re: Does this look normal? (skin glue/ glue sutures)
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sat Mar 21, 2015 01:40 PM
Thanks. The next day it felt fine, still does.

The incision looks okay to me (but what do I know), it's on the inside of my left arm and it is really hard to get a close up picture of that by myself. I distinctly remember the doctor saying he was using glue, but it looks like a suture, so I don't know (like a little white knot with two tiny ends sticking out).

I've lost some skin to the bandage adhesive (like, there was blood, but it wasn't much).

My insurance has a nurse hot-line, if starts bothering me again I'll call that and if they say go to a doctor I'll go to a doctor, I just don't want to spend anymore money on this (I had to fork over $3k of my own money before they would do this surgery, it costs $4K and my deductible is $5K, I'm going to have to do a payment plan for the rest of it).

ReplySendWatch