Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

What to wear to class?
By BalletIrish4evr
On Thu Mar 19, 2015 01:10 PM
Edited by BalletIrish4evr (272604) on 2015-03-19 13:12:03

I know its kind of early, but I am going to the Kirov academy of ballet this summer. My mom is starting to buy sundresses for me to wear to class, She is insisting I bring at least 6. But the truth is I do NOT want to wear a dress to class. Wont everyone else be wearing warm-ups? So I was just wondering what do most people wear to class?

P.S. this is my first summer intensive away from home.

4 Replies to What to wear to class?

re: What to wear to class?
By MeaMSBMD
On Fri Mar 20, 2015 04:19 AM
At a lot of summer intensives, you're not allowed to wear warm ups unless you're in the studio(ie walking to and from class from the dorms or whatever)... And it will be very hot in DC in June and July. I've never been to Kirov, but I've been to Cpyb and bolshoi and most people wear sundresses or athletic shorts and a tshirt to and from the studios and then put warm ups on inbetween classes if they don't leave the studios. You probably won't need very much warm ups, either. Sundresses are great because they're light and comfortable and also very pretty.
By melissaga
On Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:42 PM
I'll confirm the other poster's remarks. My daughter has attended at least 6 different SIs. None allow the wearing of warm ups to and from class. Even her former studio had a statement about this for year round. My daughter much prefers lightweight dresses that can easily be thrown over a leo and tights for SIs.

Most programs will only allow warm ups to be worn in between classes. Some won't allow any in the classroom at all, some will allow for the first exercise or two.
By savannahenpointe
On Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:52 AM
Hey! I attended Kirov last summer. Contrary to the other commenters, for Ballet classes we typically started entering the studio around an hour-ish before class and you can wear whatever kind of warmups or whatever you want. Teachers typically didn't come into the classroom until right before class is starting. I've never seen anyone wear sundresses in the studio but there's nothing saying you can't. However, outside of the classroom (halls, cafeteria, grounds, etc) you must follow their dress code. You're not allowed to wear spaghetti straps/sleeveless tops (I don't remember if we could wear tanks or not) and if you wear shorts they are supposed to come to your mid-thigh at least. No midriffs showing, low v-cut shirts etc. I don't remember the rest of the rules. Also, you have to wear solid black leos everyday except Saturday; you can wear any color leotard on Saturdays. Have a great time, the teachers were amazing at Kirov!!
By behindbarres
On Mon Mar 23, 2015 06:06 PM
Last summer I lived in sundresses and a lot of other girls did too. You're usually not allowed to wear warm ups out of the studio anyways and it's going to be very hot :)

ReplySendWatch