Forum: Adults / 20 Something

20 Something
What do you do with super beautiful clothes you never wear?
By SwordInStone Comments: 192, member since Thu Aug 11, 2011
On Fri Mar 20, 2015 03:07 PM

I guess this isn't new to anyone; either you've got clothes like this or you've known people who have clothes like this.

What do you suggest doing? I have some really beautiful sweaters and dresses (the one pictured in just one of many) that simply don't suit me. The detailing is really beautiful, and they're very unique. I got them from a small Chinese boutique that isn't known at all abroad, and the quality is just superb. Would be nice if I collected clothing, but I don't have a lot of room, being one of those people who prefers to travel light.

My wardrobe is already very small, and I wear about half of it. That would be about five outfits (I have multiples of some pieces). All of the pieces are as unique and well-made as the ones I don't wear, so even if I sell some clothes, I'd still have the really great ones left. In addition, I could really use the money for some new dance wear. The only problem is, I just like them too much, even though I'll probably never wear them, and they're taking up valuable space. And I'm a bit embarrassed to admit, the colours look good when they're folded up in my drawers, and to sell them almost feels like taking apart a lovingly-collected set.

So I'm making Ebay listings, and it's a bit uncomfortable, really it is. I could bring them back to my mom, who'd probably get down to my size in the near future.

Would you advise selling these clothes?

And also, if you'd like to share stories about your emotional connection to your wardrobe, please do.

2 Replies to What do you do with super beautiful clothes you never wear?

re: What do you do with super beautiful clothes you never wear?
By Spiorad Comments: 2156, member since Sat Jul 22, 2006
On Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:05 PM
Edited by Spiorad (163536) on 2015-03-30 22:06:14
I would put it on poshmark over ebay, or together with, but having them on two sites could get confusing if people buy it and then you don't update the other one soon enough.
re: What do you do with super beautiful clothes you never wear?
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:54 AM
If you need the money, sell the clothes. Clothes are meant to be worn, and someone else can benefit and wear them. I think we all can benefit from getting rid of what we really don't need. Detaching from "things" that are merely for possession is a selfish/hoarding concept. And as I write this, I think of all the things I need to get rid of. Though I did clean out my kitchen last week and that felt good to give a lot of extra pots and pans away.

ReplySendWatch