Forum: Disco / Disco - Teachers Only

Disco - Teachers Only
Teacher Qualification??
By SharonMcArthur Comments: 1, member since Fri Jan 10, 2014
On Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:53 AM

Hi There,

I was dancing freestyle since the age of five, i retired at 16 and spent 4 years getting my BA HONS degree in contemporary dance.

I am trained to teach in contemporary dance.

But I really want to open a freestyle school.

I have seen examinations online through IDTA. (International Dance Teachers Association) to get a freestyle teachers qualification.

Will I be able to have an ADFP Professional membership with this, so I can have my students compete?

If anyone is able to help me out I would really appreciate it :)

Thank You

Sharon

2 Replies to Teacher Qualification??

re: Teacher Qualification??
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sat Mar 21, 2015 08:47 PM
The IDTA is an examination board, they do all sorts of exams, not just freestyle, if you want to have a dance school I would go for the organization that gives you the most freedom in styles as an instructor. If you want to find out if there's an agreement between the IDTA and the ADFP then I would email them both and ask, I know the ISTD have an agreement with the RAD, there's nothing like getting the information straight from the horses mouth.
re: Teacher Qualification?? (karma: 1)
By xxkirstyxxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1309, member since Sun Jun 15, 2003
On Mon Mar 23, 2015 05:11 AM
The ADFP is a separate body from associations such as IDTA, UKA etc. the ADFP is purely an association for freestyle professionals. So you will always have to join the ADFP separately, regardless of which teaching association you use to gain your qualification. You cannot take exams though the ADFP, you can only join them as an already qualified teacher. You will have to provide your examination details, certificates etc to join. The as time goes on you pay your yearly memberships to your association (IDTA for ex) and then your membership to ADFP on top.

Hope this makes sense :) PM me if you need advice, I'm an adfp member.
Kirstin

ReplySendWatch