Forum: Competitions

Talent Show tips?
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Mar 24, 2015 08:33 PM

On a whim (serious, I floated this idea LAST WEEK), tonight my cloggers competed in a local talent show. The talent show was a qualifier for the bigger show that they're planning for later in the summer, as part of a neighborhood fun fair type of thing.

They placed top five, and they're on to the big show!

And now that they've seen that they can compete, and hold their own (15 acts - 13 singers, 1 magician, 1 dance act), they're AMPED.

Judging by the way the people on the board were acting, they're probably going to be the only dancers.

Any tips on what I can do, to really give them a leg up? Like, I know the obvious, I've said it myself - since talent show judges don't know much about dance, the technique isn't as important as the entertainment value. But this piece that they qualified with tonight is actually their technical piece this year (they learn two dances every year, one based more on technique, and one is more for the entertainment value), so it's really built on the tent pole of being technically sound. Which it is, it's a good piece, and they're getting consistently better at it.

It's a cover song, but it's also an easily recognizable song (it's Marcus Collins' cover of 'Seven Nation Army'...which anyone who's ever been near a radio or TV would at least recognize the riff from that), so I feel like I'm solid there.

...anything I'm forgetting? I know the odds are a bit shaky - being different doesn't always pay off - but I'd like to at least know I did what I could.

3 Replies to Talent Show tips?

re: Talent Show tips?
By Bri606
On Mon May 04, 2015 07:42 AM
Even technical pieces can be entertaining, especially at a talent show where no one else can do what they are doing. Smiling and showing they are having fun with it (and at the intense guitar part, showing a bit of sass on their faces) will go a long way toward being entertaining. And just focus on being really really together and in perfect sync with each other. If they can go up there in unison and make it sound as close together as if one person were doing the routine, it will be super impressive. Add that to showing they're having fun (which makes it seem effortless to the audience) and they will have no problems placing at the talent show. Good luck!!
By conductorchik
On Tue May 12, 2015 11:52 AM
If it's not a dance specific talent show, I would worry about a clean, entertaining performance.
By vfdtPremium member
On Mon May 25, 2015 03:19 AM
My preteens competed in a local talent show too, with similar stats - mostly girls singing soulful songs in boho dresses. (I did get a little bored, but I guess this is what they all see on TV, so contestants feel compelled to imitate it.) We didn't win (only top 3 chosen) but it was a good experience for them, and a chance for us to show off tap dance. (Only others were Irish step.) Funds raised went to a charity, and entry fees weren't excessive.

I wouldn't get my hopes up, due to judges biases, so just do your best to make it precise and entertaining. I was satisfied with that, as we were the youngest, and no mention of training, nor technique schools were in their bios, in the programme.

ReplySendWatch