Forum: Irish / Irish

coming back from injury?
By KiraDancesIrishmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Mar 24, 2015 09:46 PM

Is there anyone here that has successfully come back from multiple tendon repairs in their foot/ankle? I tore mine in 2013 but it wasn't bad enough to stop dancing til mid 2014 when the Ortho said I had let it go to a point they needed to be surgically repaired. they actually found an extra bone while they were in there. That was 18 months ago and I've just now been given the all clear to start dancing again. But I just wasn't sure if this is something that typically ends it for dancers.

1 Replies to coming back from injury?

re: coming back from injury?
By lhc12
On Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:35 AM
I haven't had surgeries due to dance, but I'm also not really supposed to be dancing. When I say that, I mean that I'm not expected to be able to do this. I had surgery on my achilles tendons when I was little to lengthen them. An adhesion from that surgery tore last year, and I was basically told if I keep dancing, I will need more surgery. I've since learned to listen to my body. I've also learned to practice more efficiently. Often, I won't run through my actual steps for a couple weeks. Instead, I work with my teacher on strengthening and stamina drills. This has made a huge difference. If it hurts or if something is swollen, I rest.
Listen to your doctors, but also listen to your body. Take it easy if you have to. There's no use going all out with your dancing if you're going to be in too much pain to enjoy it.

ReplySendWatch