Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

Health & Nutrition
Fitness and diet routine. Your thoughts?
By StarBucks_Lovermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 504, member since Fri Jan 25, 2008
On Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:08 PM

So I'm trying to tone up for summer and honestly just in general. I already weigh what a person my height should weigh but I'm changing up my diet and wanted to see what y'all thought.

Breakfast: Nonfat, 80-100 calories Greek yogurt (plus an occasional banana)
Lunch: vegetables (mostly broccoli and carrots
Dinner: Meat (usually chicken or beef) with tomatoes and one glass of red wine

Minus the red wine I'm only drinking water or black or green tea. I have one cheat day, but I do watch myself on that day.

I'm also exercising daily. Walking, jogging, running up and down multiple flights of stairs and other basic exercises. I work out for about an hour to an hour and a half six days a week.

So, what do y'all think? Anything I should change?

10 Replies to Fitness and diet routine. Your thoughts?

re: Fitness and diet routine. Your thoughts?
By wembley Comments: 310, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Wed Mar 25, 2015 02:50 AM
I'd include some protein in the lunches, as this will help you to feel full for longer, and provide more sustained energy through the afternoon.
By wembley Comments: 310, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Wed Mar 25, 2015 02:51 AM
And then I thought of another point - this is very repetitive. Are you going to get bored of repeating the same meals very quickly? A more varied diet is going to keep you interested for longer.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Wed Mar 25, 2015 06:22 AM
Edited by majere (186163) on 2015-03-25 07:44:45
Protein. Breakfast and dinner look good, but add some meat or dairy (if you can) to your lunch.

Also, if you want to tone, do strengthening and weights.
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Wed Mar 25, 2015 07:46 AM
What portion sizes are you using and where's your complex carbohydrates? That looks much more like the diet of someone desperate to lose weight rather than someone trying to maintain their weight. You don't mention what exercise you're going to be doing and if toning up is what you want then you need to look more at your exercise levels.
re: Fitness and diet routine. Your thoughts? (karma: 1)
By webstArmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3639, member since Wed Jan 15, 2003
On Wed Mar 25, 2015 09:00 AM
^I agree, it doesn't seem like you're eating enough during the day. I'm a teeny tiny person, and I would wither away on that diet! Especially with an hour to an hour and a half of exercise every day, you're not going to be able to sustain these changes.

Also, take a look at the non-fat yogurt. I'm always weary of non-fat options, because they often replace the fat with sugars to maintain the taste, and sugar is actually what's going to make you gain weight. If you're exercising regularly, there's nothing wrong with fat in your diet!

I also agree that you need to add a protein to your lunch. Vegetables are a snack. And I agree with the complex carbohydrates as well - meals should be balanced. Quinoa is an AMAZING option for complex carbs, as well as protein. I love doing quinoa salads with veggies for lunch. I throw in some black beans and red peppers with a cilantro lime dressing, and it's delish!

Finally, if you want to get "toned", it's never going to happen by purely doing cardio. You need to be lifting weights as well, and building up that muscle. And to do that, there needs to be more protein in your diet.

I'm not great with specific portion sizes (I don't weight my food or count calories), but I hope that helps a bit!
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Wed Mar 25, 2015 03:27 PM
I also agree, you probably aren't eating enough (I'm probably eating more than you are and I am aiming to lose weight). Snacks are good too.

Okay so you are eating 100 calories for breakfast, probably less than 100 for lunch and about 300-400 for dinner. Assuming normal portions and I'm being generous with the lunch calories. 500 -600 calories. You need to eat more than that (like, twice that).
By shmcdona Comments: 857, member since Sat May 01, 2004
On Wed Mar 25, 2015 06:16 PM
You need fatss, you need protein and you need complex carbohydrates. This to me looks like a crash diet. You will NOT be able to sustain eating in this manor. I would suggest something like overnight oats for breakfast (made with greek yogurt, fruit, hemp hearts, chia seeds). A snack a few hours later (banana, hummus and veggies or an apple and peanut butter), a lunch of protein, veggies and complex carbohydrates (quinoa salad as webstar suggested would be great), followed by another healthy snack and a nutritious dinner (grilled salmon, asparagus, brown rice for example). That is much more sustainable with working out as much as you are, and especially if you are trying to maintain your weight. If a friend told me about this diet, to be honest, I would end up watching them for an eating disorder. It isn't healthy.
By Straatdance Comments: 8, member since Thu Mar 05, 2015
On Thu Apr 09, 2015 09:24 PM
Edited by imadanseur (79325) on 2015-04-28 14:24:06 ..
You need to add a bit more carbs in your diet, or protein if you want to be more full. Plus the fact that you're eating way less means that you have to introduce in-between snacks in your eating routine because you might feel more famished if you only eat those three everyday. Lastly, variety is one more thing you should think of.

//Laruel
By saaammiemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 440, member since Thu Apr 01, 2010
On Fri Apr 10, 2015 01:48 AM
Start here to find out your BMR and your TDEE (well, approximations of them)

www.health-calc.com . . .

Then do an axpproximation of the amount of calories you're eating per day.

How do your TDEE and what you're eating compared to each other?

If what you're eating is lower than your TDEE, you will lose weight. But your body will protest if you go too far. Generally, a deficit of around 500 calories is both sustainable and results in you losing weight fairly quickly. (half a pound to a pound a week)
By Leslie702 Comments: 20, member since Sun Mar 29, 2009
On Sat May 02, 2015 04:29 PM
Good information, agree with protein at lunch, also some almonds or apple w/almond butter for a snack.

ReplySendWatch