Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Competitions

Ballet - Competitions
YAGP general questions and costume requirements
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Sat Mar 28, 2015 08:36 AM

One of my students who is turning 13 next year wants to participate in YAGP in 2016. Maybe I'm really dumb, but I can't find information about how strict the costume requirements are. I know they say no costume is required, but this is a tad different. I'm asking this because she wears a hijab. I'm fine with my students wearing them in class and in performances granted they have them pinned securely, but I'm not sure about YAGP. I was thinking we could fluff something about it being part of her costume so I want her doing a variation from La Bayadere since headdresses and veils are common in Hindu dress, but I don't know...

She really wants to do a classical variation more than contemporary.

8 Replies to YAGP general questions and costume requirements

re: YAGP general questions and costume requirements
By Serendipity42Premium member Comments: 2267, member since Sun Aug 16, 2009
On Sat Mar 28, 2015 04:31 PM
YAGP requires both classical and contemporary. There is a list of acceptable classical variations on its site.

i would recommend you look at YAGP YouTube stuff to get an idea of what is done there.

She may have to forego her hijab in order to participate, but, honestly, I think it would be a gorgeous addition to both classical and contemporary dances.
By Tishwah Comments: 586, member since Sun May 17, 2009
On Sat Mar 28, 2015 09:51 PM
I would contact YAGP directly, but my hunch is they wouldn't be interested in cries of discrimination by saying No. ;)
On Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:07 AM
Serendipity42 wrote:

YAGP requires both classical and contemporary. There is a list of acceptable classical variations on its site.

i would recommend you look at YAGP YouTube stuff to get an idea of what is done there.

She may have to forego her hijab in order to participate, but, honestly, I think it would be a gorgeous addition to both classical and contemporary dances.

Really? For video auditions yes, but I thought in semi-finals you chose to do one or the other or both? I don't know, I did YAGP a long time ago. All I remember was that I broke my foot when I fell down some stairs, lol.

I sent them an email, hopefully they'll answer. I don't think they'll say no since some boys have danced wearing their kippah, but a hijab is a bit more eye catching. I'm partly worried it might distract from her dancing or draw in cyber bullying, but she's a tough cookie.
On Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:41 AM
I go to class with young dancers who have been there for the past few years. They have to do both. They get a score for each, and an overall combined for their overall place.
On Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:42 AM
I go to class with young dancers who have been there for the past few years. They have to do both. They get a score for each, and an overall combined for their overall place.
By melissaga Comments: 323, member since Sun Feb 14, 2010
On Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:16 PM
I beg to differ. The rules and regulations clearly state a dancer may do a classical OR a contemporary variation OR both.

For regionals, for the possibility of advancement, ONLY a classical variation must be performed and scored well enough to advance. This is also in the rules and regulations. In order to get In NYC, one must perform both. I know several dancers who advanced to NYC who did not perform a contemporary piece at the regional level.

I do think, if a student seems strong enough to advance to NYC, that it is a disadvantage not to do both at the regional and get the feedback from the judges on the contemporary piece.

As far as wearing the hijab, I doubt they will have an issue at all. But I do think alike with you. I think the judges may have a harder time seeing past it. I know that costuming allegedly does not count, but it does count in how one perceives a dancer on stage.

On a side note, I wonder how ballet costuming and even traditional dancewear mesh with the concepts of modesty in one who wears a hijab? Just a thought in general. I did have a fellow student in graduate school who wore a hijab and she certainly wore tight jeans with it as well, so I am well aware that there is a wide diversity in interpretation... but I am thinking more of traditional spaghetti strap and sleeveless bodices and the like that would be necessary for many roles/variations.
On Sun Mar 29, 2015 01:20 PM
Thank you for the information, Melissaga. All of the students I have contact with have done both.

Regarding the hijab, orthodox Jewish women have similar concerns. A friend who literally covered from head to toe in class if a male is present consulted with her Rabbi. He told her that if it is the course of a job, such as ballet, that the rules don't apply. If she has to be uncovered for performance, and it is a paid position (or training for the paid position), then she can be uncovered.

Not sure if this applies in other situations.
On Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:39 AM
melissaga wrote:

I beg to differ. The rules and regulations clearly state a dancer may do a classical OR a contemporary variation OR both.

For regionals, for the possibility of advancement, ONLY a classical variation must be performed and scored well enough to advance. This is also in the rules and regulations. In order to get In NYC, one must perform both. I know several dancers who advanced to NYC who did not perform a contemporary piece at the regional level.

Ahh yes, that's what I thought. :) I would love her to do both, but the only problem is that it would entail going to another teacher and there aren't many syllabus based teachers here. I only work 4 days a week with very full weekends (8am-11pm...yeah...what is sleep?!) and she takes private lessons with me, but it still wouldn't be enough to get her doing a contemporary piece since I don't have enough time to teach contemporary 'properly' if you know what I mean. Most of the good studios are in the city (a good 1.5 hour drive if the traffic is behaving) and I wouldn't want her wasting her time at a recreational.

Anyway, in terms of modesty, her and her family are progressive muslims. Her sister doesn't wear a hijab, but she does. Costumes with long sleeves are preferable and opaque tights and romantic tutus or bell shaped/soft pancake tutus. But she's fine with wearing a nude unitard under a standard costume. Her reasons are the same as Serendipity mentioned - purely contextual and a matter of convenience. The hijab however is not compromisable for her. I think for more progressive muslims the hijab is similar to wearing a cross. And then they cover up more for certain times of the year.

ReplySendWatch