Forum: Welcome

new to teaching, advice please :)
By AgapeDance38
On Mon Mar 30, 2015 03:36 PM

Hello everyone! I am starting my first experience with teaching in a few weeks, with a spring session. I am wondering if any of you have any tips, advice, games or just specific thoughts that you could through my way. I am super excited, but also a bit nervous, LOL!
I am going to be teaching tap for ages 3 and up in a small town community center, so it will be a new experience for the community as well as myself.

3 Replies to new to teaching, advice please :)

re: new to teaching, advice please :)
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Mar 30, 2015 04:42 PM
For that age in particular - overplan. If you have a 30 minute class, come with a minimum of 45 minutes worth of stuff for them to do.

And have your music ready to go. iPod playlist, CD, whatever. Don't be flicking through songs looking for stuff. Wherever they are, put them in order, in the order you plan to use them!

Good luck!
By AgapeDance38
On Thu Apr 09, 2015 08:00 PM
Thank you very much!!! do you have any thoughts on games or attention grabbing ideas?
By dancetcher1
On Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:17 PM
Have a few props to use. These are especially useful if you are "losing" the class.

Oh, get a roll of tape, I use blue painters tape, and put a spot of tape on the floor for each dancer to stand. You can have them sit on the spot, stand on the spot, go to the spot, etc. ~~ very useful!

Be sure to smile a lot. The little girls will start out scared and unsure of what this is!!
I sit down in a circle with all of the little girls, explain how we "take roll". Look at their precious eyes, they are just these itty bitty dancers. If you need an ice breaker, you can try something like "I have a kitty cat at home". Or you could talk about carrots, ? trying to think of something they know!!

While in the sitting circle have them stretch out legs and click shoes, then lift one leg and flex, point foot, change and do other leg/foot. Next I do little kitty cats(my hands) walking down my legs, kiss legs, walk kitties up body, overhead and clap hands 3 times. Repeat with doggies, etc.

Have fun and enjoy yourself and they will enjoy the class too.
Oh, and sometimes the girls will make up something that everyone can act (dance) out!!

ReplySendWatch