Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Adult Dancers

Suffering from back pain
By Valpy
On Thu Apr 02, 2015 07:39 AM

I'm suffering from back pain for almost a month now, should I take a break from dancing? Also, any suggestions on relieving the pain or actions that I should avoid doing?

3 Replies to Suffering from back pain

re: Suffering from back pain
By hummingbird
On Thu Apr 02, 2015 08:07 AM
Where is your back pain and when does it most bother you, in general the rule should really be if it hurts to dance stop! Pain is your bodies way of telling you somethings not right and that you should slow down.

Have you seen a doctor about your back pain yet?
By Valpy
On Wed Apr 08, 2015 09:21 AM
Well, mainly it hurts at the lower back. I've seen the doctor and gotten some painkillers. I decided to rest for a few weeks to see if the pain fades. Hopefully, this won't happen again😁 although I am still wondering where I went wrong😕
By Serendipity42Premium member
On Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:08 PM
If it's lower back, you may have been pushing your hips forward in a back cambre. In ballet, one must keep the hips in a tight alignment and only bend in the upper back. To bend using the lower back in cambre "crunches" the lumbar region - and that can cause low back pain.

Another possibility is that you are straining too hard to raise your leg in arabesque. Again, if you don't have that flexibility at this time, it will crunch the same area and cause that pain.

Ask your teacher, when you get back to classes, to watch you in both of these exercises to see if you are mis-aligning your hips.

ReplySendWatch