Forum: Advice / Emergency

Emergency
How to bathe cats that hate being bathed?
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:41 AM

I have 3 strays I put up for adoption and they need to be clean before going home tomorrow. I also have 1 cat I'm going to foster from tonight and my husband is really allergic to her. Bathing cats usually helps but she's being a pain with water apparently. Think a mini vacuum would help?

5 Replies to How to bathe cats that hate being bathed?

re: How to bathe cats that hate being bathed?
By wembley Comments: 310, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Mon Apr 13, 2015 06:30 AM
Take them into the shower while you are fully dressed? I usually wash my cats in the laundry tub, but they don't hate it, just dislike it.

Although I have used a mini vacuum on rats, they were anaesthetised at the time, I'm not sure that it would go well if the animal was awake.
By majahayes Comments: 92, member since Mon Dec 01, 2008
On Mon Apr 13, 2015 06:58 AM
Get a friend to help, one person holds the cat securely and one person washes. Don't fill the tub or sink, just put a few inches in the bottom. Gather everything needed first, shampoo, a jug to rinse and towels. Make sure you have extra towels available. So it as quick as you can but make sure you don't leave any soap residue because it will irritate their skin.
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7417, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Mon Apr 13, 2015 07:21 AM
I have bathed a cat only once, when she got really sick and peed all over herself. It required one full bath, and a day or two of no-water-needed shampoos. I did sit with her, and got some scratches, but I had the bathtub a few inches deep, and left a small stream of water going (since my cat likes running taps, and dislikes stagnant water.

Now, my cat trusts us a lot, so even when we have to do stuff she doesn't like, she is reasonable. I was able to do a lot of her lower body by holding her shoulder-pit area under her front legs...and I did that first. Then used a cup to help with the front legs.

Make the experience as little traumatic as possible, especially because they are going to your home tomorrow and other homes (hopefully) soon. Give them a change to get acquainted with the bathroom (one at a time), including the tub. Start the water at a slow drop, and avoiding loud noises and giving some soothingn feedback (petting, if that is for them, or soothing voices). Move with purpuse once you pick them up to put them in the water/bathe them. Reducing the time they're in the stressful situation, and getting them dry again ASAP will help. They will naturally begin to self-bathe themselves after this, so make sure you get all soap/shampoo.
By majahayes Comments: 92, member since Mon Dec 01, 2008
On Mon Apr 13, 2015 06:49 PM
Forgot to mention, run the water into the tub before you bring the cat into the bathroom
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Tue Apr 14, 2015 04:26 AM
Thanks for the help guys, it really did help with most of them. 2 were adopted (yay!) but the kitten who I hand raised since mid-Jan is still here :( (he's a blind baby too and is taking so long to wean because he's super sceptical of solid foods). I never actually thought of getting someone to help because I thought it might freak them out more, actually it was pretty good! One of us petted and fed and the other washed.

The cat I got yesterday is a nightmare with water. Absolute nightmare...I have cat scratches all over. The others were not happy, but keeping the water running and making sure the water was warm was okay. I don't use soap on them, just glycerin with vinegar because some cats are allergic to soap. I kept homemade fish treats on the side as well. Mini vacuum didn't work on water-hating cat, she's still riddled with allergens and my husband is drunk on claratyne. They should make an allergen eating spray...

ReplySendWatch