Forum: Adults / Work/Employment

Work/Employment
Applying for jobs when you know you cant start by the start date
By lildancergirl22 Comments: 320, member since Mon Mar 01, 2004
On Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:46 AM
Edited by lildancergirl22 (85951) on 2015-04-14 11:58:46 odd symbols

I am a health professional and my current contract at work is up the end of June. I also am planning on taking a month long trip in July which means I am not able to take on new employment until August at the earliest.

I am starting to look for my next job as there are not many opportunities with good companies in the geographic area I want to work in.

There has been a couple jobs that have come up at places I really want to work at recently. Some of these jobs have posted start dates that are well before I am available (e.g. May), and others haven't posted a start date at all. Funding is always fluctuating in my field which means new positions are often created, not that they are looking to replace someone.

What's your opinion on applying for jobs when you can't start for several months yet? Should I make it clear in my cover letter that I am not available until August and not waste their time if they truly do need someone asap? Or should I just apply,if I get an interview bring up that I can't start until August then?

1 Replies to Applying for jobs when you know you cant start by the start date

re: Applying for jobs when you know you cant start by the start date
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Tue Apr 14, 2015 09:39 PM
You could do either. You could just say at the end of your cover letter that you are available for employment starting on ______. Chances are they won't read that though as I think most places just skim cover letters to see if you bothered and I'm seeing more and more applications that just want a resume. So with that said, a phone interview would be a good time to bring it up. Usually they'll ask if you have any questions and ask about start dates and go from there. In my experience, most jobs have much earlier than reasonable start dates. Employers don't take into account how much it will take for them to go through resumes, screen candidates, do interviews and so on. And hiring is usually the least priority. I've only seen staffing agencies and very seasonal jobs (like political campaigns) hire people on the spot and insist you start ASAP. But those jobs are usually not permanent jobs. If an employer really wants you, they'll work with you. I know how you feel though, I have been looking for a new job as my contract is restructuring and I don't really want to stay (though I'm lucky they are keeping me and hopefully the new contract is better) but since I"m going on vacation later this week I haven't been intensely applying like most of my coworkers. It's been kind of sad to see more and more people each week get something new and feeling like I'll be the last man standing. But I digress lol. Good luck with your job search!

ReplySendWatch