Forum: Advice / Ask a Parent

Ask a Parent
Son wanting to pursue a professional career, how do I help?
By DDAMOMof3 Comments: 1, member since Mon Apr 27, 2015
On Mon Apr 27, 2015 01:00 PM

I have a 15 year old son who has been dancing for 7 years now and competing for 4 years. He is talking about wanting to pursue a career in dance. I want to make sure I am doing all I can so he can pursue that dream but wonder is this a pipe dream or something that is attainable. Previously he has only performed Hip Hop and Tap. This year the his teacher suggested he take jazz if he is truly interested in this career path to get more flexibility. He is not the best dancer in his class but has all the heart for it. Is that enough? Any advise anyone may have on this topic would be amazing.

3 Replies to Son wanting to pursue a professional career, how do I help?

re: Son wanting to pursue a professional career, how do I help?
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Tue Apr 28, 2015 02:29 PM
If he is going to dance professionally he really really needs to take technique and ballet. Being the most well rounded dancer will be beneficial. Being only a tap and hip hop dancer will definitely limit him in auditions and commercial/professional work. He should learn some basic lifts with girls, and know how to kick, turn, and leap. Does he sing or act? That would help too. Guys have it a bit easier because there is less competition, but its no walk in the park.

Go to as many master classes, festivals etc. as possible. Getting him out there, learning different styles, interacting with the dance community will be a huge help.
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Tue Apr 28, 2015 03:02 PM
For starters, get him into a dance school that has success placing kids professionally. If that is not an option, look into workshops. Monsters of Hip Hop is a good one. Tabitha and Napoleon, who choreograph for some of the dance TV shows and videos work with them. Don't just show up and participate. Talk to them, develop a relationship with them, get him noticed. He needs to be on the front row in the workshop rooms. Go on their website and check out their schedule.

Good luck, kk~
By sbcdancer Comments: 52, member since Fri Jun 04, 2004
On Tue Apr 28, 2015 07:30 PM
Get him into a program to learn how to teach. There is always a need for strong tap/hip hop teachers. See if he can help with younger class at his studio. Also I second taking ballet classes.

ReplySendWatch