Forum: Advice / Girls & Guys

Girls & Guys
Ballet Tights for Toddler BOY
By toji_667member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 322, member since Sun Sep 28, 2008
On Mon Apr 27, 2015 08:06 PM

I recently put my Step-son in ballet. Up until now, I've had him wear regular underwear and boys jazz pants but the studio wants him to start wearing tights. He wears a size 4T and i cant find tights that would fit him anywhere! Any suggestions? Also, he's only 4, if he wears tights, does he need a dance belt? I'd ask all this in the guys ballet section but unfortunately I'm not allowed to post there.
Thanks in advance!

6 Replies to Ballet Tights for Toddler BOY

re: Ballet Tights for Toddler BOY
By wembley Comments: 310, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Tue Apr 28, 2015 01:47 AM
If you're really desperate, I can make some tights for him. I say 'really desperate' because although I've made tights and dance shorts for adult men, I've never made any for kids, and we have a different sizing system here in Australia, so I don't know what size 4T is.
By wembley Comments: 310, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Tue Apr 28, 2015 04:30 AM
Actually, now that I think about it, I'd just go to Target and get some girls' leggings. They are stretchy, and at that age there's not much difference in shape between boys and girls. Get navy blue or black, cut the tags out, and nobody will ever know.
re: Ballet Tights for Toddler BOY (karma: 1)
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Tue Apr 28, 2015 07:44 AM
I'm sorry...they want him to do WHAT?! Is this a pre-pro school? For four year olds?! I personally am of the opinion that there's no logical reason for asking him to wear tights at this age. If he were 12, and up at the studio like it was a full time job, sure, then. He's FOUR.

At any rate, go to the girls section at Target, and get a black pair. Have the studio order you a tan pair. Bingo, bango. If they're going to extend absurd demands like this, they can put a little work in to it too.

My son is 8, and has danced since he was two, and has never been asked to come to class in tights. :/
By Sumayah Comments: 6879, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Tue Apr 28, 2015 08:17 AM
Men's tights are way, way thicker than girls tights. They sould be opaque when worn. Girl's tights are not opaque. At all. I would absolutely not put a boy, even a toddler boy in regular tights. I agree with the leggings. I also sort of see the logic behind their request, like if you get him used to it now, it will just be how things are as he gets older. Black leggings, plain white tee-shirt, white socks, black or white ballet shoes. He can wear his regular underwear. For boys, a dance belt is going to be a full seat brief anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it til he gets much older.
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 635, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Mon May 04, 2015 04:31 PM
You did not mention you son's age, other than to say he is a size 4T and is a toddler boy. But for arguments sake, we will say he is like 4, 5, or 6 yrs old. The girls black leggings for him from Target, for now, is a great idea. Make sure you get white socks too.

But a dance belt for a boy so young?---no, not even close. He can wait till he is a late pre-teen or early teen for that one.
By toji_667member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 322, member since Sun Sep 28, 2008
On Thu May 14, 2015 06:19 PM
He's 4 :)
I ended up just buying tights from discount dance. They're too long but he'll grow into them in no time. It is a pre-pro school.

ReplySendWatch