Forum: Arts / Fashion

Fashion
Vanity sizing (just the past 10/11 years)
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sat May 02, 2015 09:26 PM

I bought new pants because I lost about 25lbs. I was wearing a juniors 11. I was thinking I'd need a size 7. I ended up getting a 5 (I think I could have gotten away with a 3, but I didn't take a 3 to the dressing room). The last time I wore a 5 I was 14/15 years old and weighed MAYBE 100lbs. I was just like, how the hell am I wearing a 5 at 130 lbs.

It is just baffling that sizes changed that much in the past 10 years. Has anyone else noticed any crazy differences?

16 Replies to Vanity sizing (just the past 10/11 years)

re: Vanity sizing (just the past 10/11 years)
By majahayes Comments: 92, member since Mon Dec 01, 2008
On Sun May 03, 2015 06:51 AM
I've been buying clothes at garage since I was in high school. Despite gaining about 10 or so pounds since becoming an adult and having a baby, my size at that store has gone from 3, 1, 0, 00. I still have some really old size 3s from years ago and they are the same size as my new size 00s.
By hummingbird Comments: 10418, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sun May 03, 2015 09:28 AM
It really doesn't matter what the number is on the clothing, the important thing is does it fit.

I agree with you though.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sun May 03, 2015 10:05 AM
hummingbird wrote:

It really doesn't matter what the number is on the clothing, the important thing is does it fit.

I agree with you though.

I agree about the number doesn't matter. I just had a moment where I went "when was the last time I had something this size? That can't be right."
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Sun May 03, 2015 11:45 AM
It's baffling and annoying but it really does work from a marketing standpoint even though no one can see what size the clothes were. Shopping for my grandmother was extremely difficult because even if something fit and looked good on her she refused to wear it if it wasn't a size small, and she was 90+ at this point. So we had to find stores that did vanity sizing or she would have had no clothes. I wouldn't be surprised if people buy more clothes when they can buy them in the smaller size. It's hard to wrap your mind around since it's not like the tag sticks out or anything.When I was younger and something was too small I was definitely down on myself, but as an adult I have a much better perspective on it all. I think being out of school and no one asking what size you are also helps. I've also found that graduating from juniors and going into the petite adult section of stores has given more options and the sizes usually aren't as crazy, but depending on brand I can fall anywhere from a 4 to an 8 at a place like Macy's.
By Kittydoodles Comments: 76, member since Sun Sep 14, 2014
On Sun May 03, 2015 11:45 AM
That's why I wear yoga pants. Jeans are not worth the stress they cause over size.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Sun May 03, 2015 12:24 PM
I am a size zero.,,,hahah yeah right!

I have jeans from Express from about 12 years ago and they are a size 6. Now I am a size 0 at Express. Please, these hips can not get into a true size 0. I got my German child bearing hips!

When I go to a store, I take 1 pair of a size 0-size 10 just incase.

I do feel bad for women who are a " true" size 0-4. I have no idea where they are able to shop.
re: Vanity sizing (just the past 10/11 years) (karma: 1)
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Mon May 04, 2015 05:12 AM
I hate vanity sizing. It would be so much easier if clothes were listed by their measurements (as they are with most mens clothing) rather than some arbitrary letter or number that mean nothing in the big scheme of things.

Keep the same cut, but size pants by waist and inseam; size tops by shoulder width (rather than neck circumference). Have some logic to the process rather than pulling a number out of a hat.

(And seriously, 0, 00, 000 and the like are the sizes on infant onesies! Who labels adult clothing like that?!)
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Wed May 06, 2015 11:56 AM
Vanity sizing is pretty crazy. I remember when I was around 13 I was a US 1 or 2, now almost a decade later, hello 00! It's just US sizes that have changed a lot I've found, to the point that when I shop online, unless they have a size chart with measurements, I'm always worried.

My Australian size has not changed, always been a 6. Although with men's sizes I keep finding things are getting mysteriously larger which has basically turned my wardrobe into 'women's' clothes since I can't fit men's clothing. Used to fit an S or XS in guys, now I'm looking for XXS or XXXS (which no one has). Guys apparently like to be larger and women like to be smaller. Funny that.

Also, as a vintage shopper, I bought a coat labelled size 12 and it fits me perfectly. Just goes to show how much sizes have changed over the course of time.
By iliahmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2331, member since Tue May 10, 2005
On Thu May 07, 2015 12:06 PM
Hmm.... www.vanitysizing.com

According to this, the so-called "vanity" sizing is too complex to summarize as simply an ego booster/marketing ploy.

Each brand/line uses the statistics of the market sector they cater to. The median measurements of that sector becomes the "medium" of this particular brand/line, which is NOT standardized across the entire garment industry.

Considering obesity rates have gone up, you can't blame manufacturers for this so-called "vanity sizing" when they have shifted how they make clothes to the new median measurements.
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 14381, member since Mon Aug 11, 2003
On Sun May 10, 2015 04:52 PM
It can make you crazy...I have pants ranging from sizes 2 up to 10 or 11. I have shirts from XS to XL. They ALL fit, so I just figured all clothing companies are insane.

I'm just thankful that I was informed of Old Navy's tall section; it's online only so I doubt I would have stumbled upon it myself. It was a great thing when companies started making pants that were "long" or whatever, but they typically just made the legs longer and that was that. Old Navy's tall jeans actually have a higher rise, adjusted knee, etc. so they fit an overall tall person, not just somebody with long legs. The tops are great, too. I love having stuff with sleeves that are long enough! :D
On Tue Jul 07, 2015 05:11 PM
Reviving this because I went pant shopping again (needed a new pair of slacks). My size 6 slacks were too big so I went to find a new pair. They did not have the style I wanted in the size I needed (2), so I had to order online. I then realized that a size 2 is as small as these pants got. Where do the super skinny chicks buy their clothes? Unless vanity sizing changes again I'll never fit into something smaller than this "2," so I really do wonder where all of the twiggy people shop?
By webstArmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3639, member since Wed Jan 15, 2003
On Tue Jul 07, 2015 06:05 PM
^That's actually something that's always been super frustrating. I'm a short, thin girl (with big boobs) and I have SUCH a hard time finding clothing that fits and is flattering. It's not too bad with jeans and casual wear, but anything business or work-related is a nightmare. I've found a few stores in Canada that are geared towards slightly smaller girls, but they always seem a little younger looking, too. Very frustrating!

As a side note, if you wouldn't call bigger girls "chubby" or "fat", please don't call smaller girls "skinny" or "twiggy." I cringed reading that..
On Tue Jul 07, 2015 06:16 PM
webstAr wrote:

As a side note, if you wouldn't call bigger girls "chubby" or "fat", please don't call smaller girls "skinny" or "twiggy." I cringed reading that..

I meant Twiggy, like the model. Is calling someone skinny offensive?
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Tue Jul 07, 2015 07:17 PM
I like to joke that I hit puberty at 25, before that I was one of those really small girls that you mentioned. I was not 100 pounds when I went to college. It was very frustrating to find clothes. I felt like I was always behind/immature fashion wise, like by the time I fit into abercrombie, everyone else had moved on to Express or whatever. Though in college I did have pretty good luck with places like express and banana republic. Juniors sections of stores also were OK. When I graduated and needed suits I had pretty good luck at White House Black Market. Now that I'm not as tiny as I used to be I get the majority of my clothes from the petite section at Macys. I still love WHBM but Macy's is literally across the street from my apartment. But sizing is weird, I just bought a business dress there that's a size 2 but I usually wear a 6/8 in jeans. I also bought the same sweater in a few different colors. Some colors they only had size large and I swear it's no different than the medium. Clothes would certainly frustrate me when I was younger and really small and then the tailor can really be your best friend. Anything can be made smaller, though the tailor does add up.

What really frustrated me when I was younger though was shoes. I wear a size 5. While luckily there's not much a discrepancy on shoe sizes most major places start their adult shoes at size 6 or 7. And some places even end their kids shoes at 4 skipping my size all together. Sneakers always run big so I have to buy kids athletic shoes and try to find things that aren't neon rainbow. Again high school was the most annoying because I wrote a uniform but when could wear our own shoes as long as they fit certain guidelines and it was nearly impossible to find anything. Now with online shopping being much more common, it is easier to find shoes and I've found a few stores that will have my size, mainly Clarks and Payless. But I'll never be able to buy shoes at places like Macy's and in high school seeing all the pretty shoes I couldn't wear made me practically cry!

So in the end yes, you have hit on something a lot of people don't realize, it is very difficult for smaller than average adults to find appropriately fitting and styled clothes and I am sure it's the same for much larger adults too. Clothes shopping is hard when you don't fit the mold, because in the end the store needs to make as much money as possible so they cater to the "average".
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Tue Jul 07, 2015 08:24 PM
I am a 9.5 in shoes... And I cry at Aldo because they have half sizes until 9. The go from 9 to 10 :(

As for calling someone skinny, it could be an insult if a woman is trying to gain weight but is unable to. Possibly recovering from an ED or has a messed up high metabolism. I don't think it is an insult to me to be called Twiggy or skinny but I am trying to lose weight. I know friends who used to be made fun of for being too skinny and they are insecure about it.
On Wed Jul 08, 2015 07:31 AM
I want to say that I never comment on anybody's size to them, it is rude.

The shoe thing I wear a 6 or a 6 1/2, usually the display pair is the smallest size they have. But it is handy because most of the time I can just try on the display pair with out bugging the employees.

ReplySendWatch