Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Beginners

Jazz - Beginners
How is Jazz different to Modern Dance?
By Footloose_Angel Comments: 7, member since Sun Mar 16, 2014
On Sun May 03, 2015 12:47 PM

Hi, I have been inspired by dance movies like Footloose and Step Up, and am considering learning Modern dance, but I stumbled across this video of Jazz dance on Youtube:

www.youtube.com . . .

I think this looks amazing and I would love to learn to do this, but I would have assumed this was modern / contemporary dance?

I know very little about Jazz dance, and would love to know more. How would you describe the different types of Jazz dance, and do you have any links to videos or examples of how it differs from Modern dance?

Many Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

3 Replies to How is Jazz different to Modern Dance?

re: How is Jazz different to Modern Dance?
By hummingbird Comments: 10442, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sun May 03, 2015 12:57 PM
It depends on where you're from, if you're in Europe then Modern Stage Dance is the same as Jazz, if you're from the US or Canada then Modern is Martha Graham, Merce Cunningham and those techniques.
By Footloose_Angel Comments: 7, member since Sun Mar 16, 2014
On Mon May 04, 2015 07:43 AM
Hi Hummingbird, Thank you. I am in England, so I guess European enough? I think Modern Stage Dance is what I like, but I've never heard it referred to as Jazz dance before. I am gradually learning more about different dance styles to try!

I like the dancing in the movies Turn It Up, Make It Happen, and Step Up. Would these be classed as Modern Stage Dance / Jazz dance?
By CarolineLucas Comments: 1, member since Wed Jun 18, 2014
On Wed May 27, 2015 04:06 AM
This dance type of jazz style but I would have assumed to different jazz steps like modern style. I think its best name is Modern Jazz Dance.

ReplySendWatch