Forum: General / Tap / Tap

Tap
Please help me with questions about tap shoes - I have a unique situation :)
By IMTreble Comments: 2, member since Sat May 09, 2015
On Sat May 09, 2015 08:36 PM

I'll start with why my situation is unique. I had major brain surgery about 5 years ago, woke up paralyzed on my left side. I was able to recover to some degree slowly and they told me that after 2 years not to expect more. Baloney! Determined not to be disabled at 49, I kept working on improving - then I started tapping again!!

I danced alone, at home, and I really sucked! I couldn't hop, my left foot couldn't lift the heal of my hard sole slip on capezio's, nor did it really flop around freely. I bought some Capezio flexmaster's, used modified steps with a heal drop in place of hop etc. but kept on for about 1.5 yrs now. I can't even tell you how much tapping has helped me! Many of the modifications are no longer needed and I am going to start a class next week taught by Sam Weber :)

I want a full sole tap shoe and after way too much research I have analysis paralysis!! The cost isn't a factor as much as something that may work and help improve my dancing. I looked at Ben & Miller (awesome), Bloch Jason Samuel Smith etc but I'm concerned the absolutely rigid sole will be a really difficult transition. Plus I don't want to spend that much just to find they don't work with my issues. Are other, less "Pro" level full sole shoes able to bend some? Also, I think a heaver shoe helps my foot to flop (it flops really easy in my doc martens).

Here's I am looking at but am open to any ideas:
- Capezio Cadence GC19
- Capezio Hoofmaster
- Bloch Respect
- Capezio CG09 Premiere but am concerned about the problem with the screws. Is that really a common issue?

Any feedback, opinions, etc are very welcome and appreciated. Thanks - and sorry for the long winded post!

2 Replies to Please help me with questions about tap shoes - I have a unique situation :)

re: Please help me with questions about tap shoes - I have a unique situation :)
By Tishwah Comments: 586, member since Sun May 17, 2009
On Sun May 10, 2015 12:36 AM
I think it is fantastic you are doing so well! It doesn't surprise me that dancing has helped because of the way that dancing forces both the body and brain to work, but the level of effort you have obviously put is has been of immense value.

I would ask, what shoes has your teacher suggested? That to me would be the starting place.
re: Please help me with questions about tap shoes - I have a unique situation :)
By IMTreble Comments: 2, member since Sat May 09, 2015
On Sun May 10, 2015 02:56 AM
Thanks for the response. After i posted I realized I should maybe ask him. I guess I am a bit conscience of my ability to keep up and was trying to walk in with my best effort. After reading all the shoe threads on this news group I believe I need the full sole as they will be more stable then the flex sole. I still find some balance issues.

I watched the class last week and I think he was wearing Miller & Ben. His shoes were really great sound. I'm so excited to be joining a class I really cannot believe I'm able to even do this! :) I hope I can keep up.... :\

ReplySendWatch