Forum: Irish / Irish

Did you tell your teacher you were leaving?
By KayWrites1989
On Tue May 12, 2015 03:57 PM

I already posted this on the voy board, but the more opinions the better.

My current dilemma is that I am probably one of the least confrontational people out there. I'm planning on transferring next month so that I can finally see my dream of competing in & overs become a reality. However, my current teacher is not a jerk and I'm worried I'll offend him if I tell him I'm going because he's not satisfying my dance needs. My plan was to just gracefully disappear, but it sounds like my prospective new teacher wants me to let him know that I'm transferring to her school. What did you do when you transferred? Did you tell your TC in person? Did you do it through email or a letter? Did you just not do anything?

6 Replies to Did you tell your teacher you were leaving?

re: Did you tell your teacher you were leaving?
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue May 12, 2015 05:30 PM
I haven't done it, but I would probably write it, because then I know I could get my thoughts straight. I would thank them for all the training and instruction they have given me. And if I was in your situation I would tell them that I am leaving because my dream is to dance in the and overs and I can't do that with this school, so I am transferring to such and such school. Thank them again for all they have done for you and wish their school and dancers the best of luck in the future.
By KayWrites1989
On Tue May 12, 2015 05:51 PM
I love this! I was thinking of mailing him a card and maybe even a gift. He's a great guy, but he me wanted to remain in adults! It's bittersweet because I learned so much from him. Thanks for the input. :)
By highland_dancer5
On Tue May 12, 2015 06:52 PM
100% tell them. Obviously some people want to be more competitive and dance at higher levels, which is totally cool. But you have to let your teacher know that that is the case. Don't make them feel like they did anything wrong. Let them know you are grateful for all their time and effort, and maintain a good relationship with them.
re: Did you tell your teacher you were leaving? (karma: 2)
By StepdancerPremium member
On Tue May 12, 2015 08:16 PM
I was in your position once. Everyone told me to "just disappear" because he was a screamer and there'd be a nasty confrontation. That didn't sit well with me because I owed my former TC a lot (he took me as an adult student at a time when adult students were as rare as unicorns), and because the notion that I could disappear in my small city was ridiculous--my former TC could find out where I'd gone with no effort at all. I decided that I couldn't control his behavior--if he yelled, he yelled--but I could control my own, so I was going to make sure I treated him the way I would want someone to treat me if positions were reversed.

I wound up telling him face to face, giving the reasons and thanking him for teaching me when no one else would. I had steeled myself for a temper tantrum, but although he was disappointed, he understood, and he didn't lose his temper. He was an AD, and he judged me several times over the next few years. Every single time, he would pull me aside afterward and give me his private critique of what I did well and what I needed to work on. He continued to teach me and I continued to learn from him until I retired from competition. He died years ago, and I will always treasure that relationship. I'm so glad I didn't listen to the people who urged me to treat him badly.
By KayWrites1989
On Wed May 13, 2015 07:27 AM
Thank you everyone for the positive input. I did not receive this respect and positivity on the voy board. I guess I should have learned my lesson about that site by now. I will let my teacher know as soon as I can.
By irishismylifemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed May 13, 2015 10:00 AM
I left at the end of the season. The school had us fill out a form to say if we are coming back for the following year. I filled out the form and attached a letter stating my intentions and the reason why. It shows a great deal of respect to the teacher you are leaving as well as the teacher you are joining and ties off the relationship allowing you to start brand new with no bad feeling.
All the best!

ReplySendWatch