Forum: Adults / College

College
Dancing in College
By DanceHeart99member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 200, member since Mon Nov 21, 2011
On Tue May 12, 2015 07:52 PM

Here goes:

I'm a sophomore in highschool, and I'll be in the LA area over summer so i figured I'd check out some schools down there, and am not sure which ones to visit
I would love to dance in college, but not as my main focus, so a school with very strong academics/humanities but also a strong dance program.
Which schools in that area should I visit?

Also, keep in mind that this is very early on, and since I haven't started that whole process yet, I really have no idea what's out there or where to start

Thank you!

6 Replies to Dancing in College

re: Dancing in College
By hummingbird Comments: 10414, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Tue May 12, 2015 11:25 PM
What style of dance are you looking at studying?
By DanceHeart99member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 200, member since Mon Nov 21, 2011
On Wed May 13, 2015 10:30 PM
Hummingbird, I'm primarily interested in modern but I don't want my ballet training to go down the drain either, so a school that has both?
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Thu May 14, 2015 06:30 PM
I don't know what kind of dance programs they have, but maybe look at UCLA. They have one of the best gymnastics teams in the country with great floor routines and I'm pretty sure some of their gymnasts have studied dance as well. UCLA seems to be good at pretty much everything so I'd look at what they have.
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15032, member since Thu Feb 14, 2002
On Thu May 21, 2015 01:33 PM
It's probably cheaper to take open classes at a local studio rather than at your school for credits. That's really pricey and if you're not doing a dance major/minor there's no point. Most big college towns will have a few studios with open classes - and obviously LA is going to be big enough to have something like that.
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Thu May 21, 2015 04:42 PM
Heart wrote:

It's probably cheaper to take open classes at a local studio rather than at your school for credits. That's really pricey and if you're not doing a dance major/minor there's no point. Most big college towns will have a few studios with open classes - and obviously LA is going to be big enough to have something like that.

That's a really good point and now that I'm older I appreciate it more. I went into college planning to be a dance minor, just because I wanted to. Nothing really career related. Then as I settled down and stuff I realized having a different minor on my resume would probably look better and increase my employable skills. My school only allowed you to take one minor. You could double major but not double minor. I still took most of the classes required for the dance minor anyway, just for fun as electives. But I really loved learning things in my more "academic" electives too. I don't necessarily regret taking the college dance classes. I enjoyed them, did well in them, they helped my GPA for sure, but was it worth the money? Probably not. I could have gotten more out of other classes I didn't "have time" to take. I was also on my school's cheerleading team for 2 years and took classes with the dance club (classes taught by students or local studio teachers) for 3 semesters. Doing stuff outside of the campus never really crossed my mind. Part of that was probably because at my school 90% lived on campus all four years and those that didn't lived with their parents. Also, freshmen residents couldn't have a car, and we were not in a big city. So it did kind of recreate what we called the "Stonehill Bubble" that no one really did stuff outside of the campus. It had it's bonuses for sure in the sense of community and getting to know a lot of people really well, but taking advantage of what is going on outside the campus bubble is good too, and as Heart pointed out can save you a ton of money. No where in the real world are you going to take a 3 hour a week dance class for $5000 for 4 months. But that;s what you are doing in college. Just food for thought, you're young and have a lot of time. It's good that you are looking at college options now and thinking about what you might want to do, academically, professionally and for fun.
By freddyFazbear Comments: 3, member since Mon May 25, 2015
On Mon May 25, 2015 02:23 AM
Emory University and Oxford College of Emory have good dance programs. There isn't any advanced stuff on the Oxford campus but just practicing basics can be really helpful. I know they offer ballet and modern.

ReplySendWatch