Forum: Irish / Irish

FYI: There's a New World Wide Voy.com Board
By Realtreble
On Sun May 17, 2015 09:43 AM

Keep reading and posting on DDN, but there is another source for information about Irish dance. I have been asked to let you know there's a new voy.com board. Here is it's mission statement:

Welcome to the new Worldwide Irish Dance Board. This is a new board made in response to the way the other boards have been moderated. This board will be moderated every day. There may be times when unwanted posts are not removed immediately, but I guarantee that it will be moderated a minimum of once every 24 hours. Discuss whatever you like, however nasty posts will be removed and repeat offenders will be blocked. **Just for the record, I am not a TC or AD, just a parent. I am not affiliated with any of the "big" schools so will moderate all posts equally.**

voy.com/244150/

Please note, I am not affiliated with this board. I do not know the moderator or the moderator's identity. I do believe in the free flow of information and ideas, which is best accomplished by having many sources and different individuals' contributions.

11 Replies to FYI: There's a New World Wide Voy.com Board

re: FYI: There's a New World Wide Voy.com Board
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun May 17, 2015 02:40 PM
thanks for the info!
I really miss the conversations we all used to have on here. :(
By StepdancerPremium member
On Sun May 17, 2015 05:56 PM
Edited by Stepdancer (168956) on 2015-05-17 17:58:28
Thanks for telling us. I'm still confused by the post structure on Voy. Sometimes there are paragraphs listed under "subject", sometimes under "author", and sometimes there's a true subject line with "more inside" and you have to open up the post to see the rest...not sure how that works. I'll have to experiment.

ETA: ^^ Hop_123, do you think DDN's posters have gone to Voy? Or just lost interest? Or are message boards on the way out?
By Realtreble
On Sun May 17, 2015 06:36 PM
Edited by Realtreble (146991) on 2015-05-17 18:37:25
Edited by Realtreble (146991) on 2015-05-17 18:40:55 Trying to get the outline form to indent
I think a lot of younger posters have gone to Instagram. The older ones are doing more Facebook. Hop 123, I miss the threads on this board, too. The MAID section is really quiet. Sigh.

The voy boards work like the old fashioned outline forms we learned in school:
I.
>.. A.
>....1.
>.....a.

(Ignore the arrows and periods in the example above. For some reason, the board wouldn't let me indent.)

You can respond to any of the posts within the structure: that's why some threads get narrower and narrower. For example, if you want to comment on the post in the I. position, click on that text to open a reply box. Your reply will show up in the 1. position. People replying to your comment will show up in the a. position.

Some people use the message box AND the name box for text. If a name is "required" on the board you visit, any text put in that box satisfies the requirement.

If you need more space for your comment than the message box and name box permit, you can continue your comments in the larger "Type your message here" box. That text will not show on the main index ("front page"). Readers access it by clicking on your text; that opens the inside window. When you are reading posts, if you see this notation: (NT), that means there's no text inside. If that notation is absent, the message will be continued and can be read by clicking on the post.

I hope that explains the voy boards a bit for you.
By SeaTurtleMama
On Mon May 18, 2015 01:50 PM
Realtreble - Thanks for explaining (NT) on the Voy boards, I had always wondered what that meant and why it was on some posts and not others.
On Mon May 18, 2015 05:02 PM
Realtreble, I am not sure where everyone went. Im sure a lot of people stopped dancing, so they stopped coming here, but did new people not hear about it? I would think message boards are NOT on the way out. Look how busy VOY is.

I don't think the changes here helped matters, even if they were necessary. Losing the search feature didn't help at all. And if you come to look, you mostly see dresses for sale, so maybe people don't realize there were other topics?

I know a lot of dancers use tumblr to share things, but you can't discuss things there.

There is an adult IDer FB group which is fairly busy and is getting new members regularly.

I don't know what happened. But I miss what it used to be. :( When I first got into ID, I didn't know anyone who really knew about dance, and I learned SO much from dance.net and all the helpful people here.
By StepdancerPremium member
On Mon May 18, 2015 09:04 PM
Thank you, Realtreble, for the Voy explanation. I've used MB's for years, but I've never seen one with that structure. I often find myself down a post rabbit hole with no clear way to get back to the main board, so I just use my bookmark.

Hop_123 wrote:

There is an adult IDer FB group which is fairly busy and is getting new members regularly.

I'm hearing of more and more groups on Facebook. I'm a FB virgin, but I think I'm going to have to make an appointment with my college kid :P and open a FB account just so I can check out the groups. I hear the Studio Owner's FB group is more active than the DDN board, although that was a while ago, so that might not be the case now.

When I first got into ID, I didn't know anyone who really knew about dance, and I learned SO much from dance.net and all the helpful people here.

Same here. DDN was a revelation to me. ID is so intense where I am, so competitive, so exclusionary, that it's hard to talk to other Irish dancers here without tripping over fault lines. And it was eye-opening to hear from other dancers in other places where things were different. Where recreational dancers were common, where adults were welcomed, where someone couldn't fathom having your hard shoes stolen because another dancer (or their parent) didn't want you in their figure. It's really nice to know there are places where it's more sane.
By Mariel4444
On Tue May 19, 2015 07:28 AM
What's the name of the adult facebook group, I can't find it
On Tue May 19, 2015 07:50 PM
Edited by Hop_123 (173279) on 2015-05-19 19:52:03
The Facebook page is: Adult Irish Dancers - Bet Your Mammy Can't Do This!
You can request to join the group by clicking on the button near the top of the page.
By momsjigmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu May 21, 2015 01:47 AM
Well, for one MAID, I can tell you that I do a lot of my social media on my iPad, and DDN is terrible on the iPad. It's hard to find where to submit, I can't search for anything anymore. Fb, Instagram and I hate to say it, the voys are easier.
By momsjigmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu May 21, 2015 02:11 AM
Oh, and I'm old....so I can't see the lettering very well on my iPad. That's another reason I hate voys, too
By feismum
On Thu Jul 02, 2015 01:47 PM
I've not posted on here for ages. I do look at Voy though. I find the 'new' layout of dance.net is really annoying. It's all so small! Much preferred the old layout.

ReplySendWatch