Forum: Ballet / Pointe - General

Scared of falling on pointe
By Kitkat777
On Mon May 18, 2015 09:39 PM

I am 15, soon to be 16 in August and I just went up on pointe in November of 2014. I am trained ISTD. I really love pointe, however I am scared of falling and have also rolled my ankle twice while on pointe. This has got me worried that I won't be able to improve and become professional. Any tips?

2 Replies to Scared of falling on pointe

re: Scared of falling on pointe
By Kittydoodles
On Tue May 19, 2015 06:34 AM
Make sure you're fully warmed up in your pointe shoes before you attempt to dance in them in center. And, since you are still relatively new to pointe, don't try anything risky in center. Only you know your body's capabilities and limits. Stay safe!
re: Scared of falling on pointe
By Jenny1661Premium member
On Wed May 27, 2015 08:33 AM
Most importantly, keep working and don't be discouraged by difficulties. You know by now that you have to earn each victory in ballet.

It sounds as though you need to work on strength and confidence. As you build strength in your legs, ankles and feet, you will be more confident in your ability.

What does your teacher(s) say? Are they telling you to strengthen, improve technique, make sure you're centered over the box, pull up out of the shoe? If they've given you corrections, make them. If they haven't, ask for their help.

Also, you need to be sure you're dancing in the right shoes for your feet. If you weren't fitted by someone who is experienced and understands how to fit pointe shoes, then you might need to be re-fitted.

ReplySendWatch