Forum: Adults / Money Matters

Money Matters
Best, cheapest basic meals?
By freddyFazbear Comments: 3, member since Mon May 25, 2015
On Mon May 25, 2015 02:28 AM

I am looking for cheap meals with a decent amount of protein in them - my ramen usually costs 20-50 cents a bowl, and regular pasta about 50 cents a serving, but I eat way too much ramen/pasta and too little protein (there is only like 6g in those)...any ideas?

6 Replies to Best, cheapest basic meals?

re: Best, cheapest basic meals?
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Mon May 25, 2015 11:33 AM
Eggs. I doubt you could find a better protein source for the price. You could even cook them over the ramen or pasta for a more complete meal. Rice and beans are also among the cheapest foods you can eat with the best nutrition. I'm not a peanut butter fan but it's often on the list of cheap protein sources as well
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Mon May 25, 2015 06:29 PM
If 6g of protein is all you're getting a day (or 12g, if you eat two packages), then you're not even in the neighborhood of getting enough protein in a day, wow. Not to mention...you're not really getting enough of anything in a day, if you're just eating two packages of ramen a day. Besides salt. You're getting well over your recommended allowence of salt. That's about it.

Eggs are the best source of protein for the price, cheese, beans, tuna fish. Well, any sort of fish really, but tuna comes in a can and is pretty cheap.

Chicken is another idea. In the US, you can get a 5 lb. bag of frozen chicken breasts for between $5 and $10, depending on the store you shop at. That's 5 or 6 meals worth of chicken anyway.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Mon May 25, 2015 08:53 PM
Tuna. You could put it in the Raman if you want.

Comment #10222838 deleted
Removed by majere (186163) on 2015-05-28 22:41:48 Got new phone accidentally reposted

By wembley Comments: 310, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Sat May 30, 2015 04:22 AM
Lentils are very cheap, filling and high in protein.
Chickpeas are also high in protein.
Are you eating any fresh fruit and vegetables? Or even frozen or canned vegetables? You really need some of these each day to avoid scurvy and other deficiency diseases. I can't make any suggestions regarding these, as I'm in Australia so our range of fresh fruit & vegies will be different to other parts of the world.
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Mon Jun 01, 2015 01:31 PM
^I agree (except for the canned vegetables. yuck.)!

Beans, beans, good for your heart.

When I make red or black beans, I eat them with rice on the first day. Then I use the leftovers to make dip or soup. Or even a sauce (which is FANTASTIC over eggs).

And if you've never tried roasted chickpeas, you should. They're delicious like potato chips but good for you.
www.chow.com . . .

ReplySendWatch