Forum: Ballet / Ballet Choreography

Ballet Choreography
Need help with creepy movement for ghost ballet!
By Amanda7 Comments: 4, member since Mon Dec 03, 2007
On Mon May 25, 2015 11:30 PM

I need to choreograph a short pointe solo for a dance in which the dancer is a ghost. Not really a flowy slow ghost but the music is more intense and the character is kind of scary :) Any ideas of either movement or specific steps!? Thanks so much!!

5 Replies to Need help with creepy movement for ghost ballet!

re: Need help with creepy movement for ghost ballet!
By rosalinde Comments: 1973, member since Fri Jun 19, 2009
On Tue May 26, 2015 07:54 AM
I can't really give steps, but maybe go for a 'broken doll' effect. And then go for the haunted idea. Get some inspiration from urban myths perhaps?
By Ristoncormember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 60, member since Wed Dec 03, 2014
On Tue May 26, 2015 08:54 PM
I'd just say that you should try to make everything very, very light, as if you are a ghost (of course you probably already were thinking of that).

If you're going for intense, maybe striking movements? Or echappes? I'm thinking these sorts of movement for the big beats in the music. And the broken doll effect would be interesting, like the other poster said.

I'd look up something like "creepy ballet solo" or "ghost ballet" for inspiration.
By Amanda7 Comments: 4, member since Mon Dec 03, 2007
On Tue May 26, 2015 10:34 PM
Yes! Thank you both so much, great ideas!
By magdalenemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 427, member since Fri Apr 27, 2007
On Wed May 27, 2015 09:19 AM
You can do a lot with regular ballet steps but making the moves more grotesque- ie, breaking your arm line at the wrist, either a sharp bend or stiff elbow, how you tilt your head, and flexed feet. Also, think about how to make your movements unnatural- feet, head, and arms moving out of sync with each other. And of course, the facial expression sells it all!
By SwordInStone Comments: 192, member since Thu Aug 11, 2011
On Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:17 PM
Edited by SwordInStone (239239) on 2015-06-19 22:19:25
Somewhat different from ballet, but check this out and see if you can adapt something: www.youtube.com . . .

Literally means mountain ghost. In folklore is a kind of succubus, but Latin succubi emphasis on seduction first, ghostly second; Chinese mountain ghost is ghost first, then a bit seductive as an afterthought.

Edit: how can I forget, Revelation of Zakharova: www.youtube.com . . .

ReplySendWatch