Forum: Advice / Ask a Judge

Ask a Judge
Dancing on vinyl floor tiles?
By homedancer Comments: 2, member since Sun May 31, 2015
On Sun May 31, 2015 02:41 PM

For my birthday, my parents have agreed to turn half of my room into a dance studio. I've done a lot of research on building a floor.

Im doing something like this www.youtube.com . . .

(If you can't view that video look up How to Build a Dance Floor" on Youtube)

The only difference is that it will be inside over carpet and the measurements are 6 feet by 9.

So I'm going to build the base, drill the plywood on but I am wondering what to put over that!

I know I can't do laminate flooring, but I was wondering if Vinyl will work. I'm currently looking at the vinyl floor tiles at home depot and I'm wondering A) if it will be ok to dance on B) if any of the tiles THAT ARE LESS THAN $1 PER SQUARE FOOT would work.

Thanks!
@homedancer

1 Replies to Dancing on vinyl floor tiles?

re: Dancing on vinyl floor tiles?
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Mon Jun 01, 2015 01:50 PM
Actually, laminate flooring should be fine as long as you secure the edges so it doesn't separate at the seams. There's nothing inherently wrong with laminate flooring. It's just that people try to put laminate over a concrete floor, which does NOT make a good dance surface. But laminate over this framed floor should be fine. Linoleum is fine too, but I would try to get a sheet instead of tiles. The tile adhesive isn't very strong, and the tiles will shift and eventually peel off.

Personally, I'd do cheap laminate from Home Depot which should run you like 60 cents per square foot. And it will be a bit slick, but spray a little hairspray on your shoes, and it'll be fine.

ReplySendWatch